27. too little, too late

Start from the beginning

Aonung was so kind and gentle with Narini, it was like a dream. He seemed like a different person.

It's no wonder Sihi was upset.

But whatever, it wasn't Katiya's business. She averted her gaze and focused her attention on the girls.

"Let me see your form again, Sihi." Katiya stepped away from Meyta and moved beside Sihi, observing her posture.

Sihi straightened her back and shifted her feet into the proper position. Katiya made a few adjustments to her form, then stepped back and nodded.

"Good. Now practice a few more times, and then we'll move on."

Sihi nodded, biting down on her lip to prevent her emotions from spilling out. If she started crying, Katiya would surely drop everything and walk away.

So she tried her best to compose herself, but her lips still quivered.

Katiya noticed and sighed. "Do you want me to beat him up for you?"

Sihi's eyes widened at Katiya's offer, blinking once as tears spilled down her cheek.

"No! Don't hurt him, Kati. It won't do any good," she wailed, sounding like a little girl.

"Yeah, you're right. He couldn't even take a hint, could he? It would probably just make him more stupid than he already is," Katiya murmured, wiping away the girl's teardrops. "Okay, enough already."

Sihi's heart burst at Katiya's unexpected, but kind gesture, and she began to cry even harder. Meyta approached them and hugged Sihi, patting her back in an attempt to calm her down.

"My Eywa, Si! Aonung really made you that upset?" Meyta nagged.

"No! It's be... because Kati's being really nice to me and it's weird," Sihi replied in-between sobs.

Meyta laughed. "There, there, it's alright. I'm sure Kati's not doing it out of pity."

Sihi looked at Katiya, her eyes still red and puffy.

"You really care for me, Kati?" she asked, wiping away her tears.

Katiya rolled her eyes, already annoyed by her tears, but nodded anyway. "It would've been a good excuse for me to give the Olo'eyktan's son another nosebleed."

Perhaps it would also help her get rid of the foreign feeling sitting in the corner of her heart.

As the evening passed, Katiya opted to conceal herself inside her family's Marui.

Her breathing slowed as she felt her anxieties melt away, cocooned in the security of the Marui's coziness.

She caught herself staring at Aonung multiple times, whether he was alone, with Narini, or with his friends. As a result of her actions, she fled before he had a chance to notice her.

She felt mortified and repulsed, but also strangely drawn to him.

Her feelings were jumbled, but she knew she had to be away from him the moment she saw him laugh, his eyes innocent as he taught the Metkayina children how to spearfish.

"You can come in if you want. It's right over here."

Neteyam's voice drew her attention and she stopped sharpening her knife to glance at her brother.

"Oh, hey, Kati. What are you doing?" Neteyam stepped inside followed by the boy who had been occupying Katiya's mind.

Wonderful.

Her mouth went dry and she forced a smile. "Nothing, just sharpening my knife."

Aonung's gaze remained on her for a moment then his lips curled into a smile, his eyes gleaming with mischief.