4. sun and moon

"Brother, what is wrong with you?"

Tsireya sighed as she glanced at Aonung.

"What?" He asked innocently, and she rolled her eyes.

Among their peers, her brother was highly respected and looked up to. It shocked her to witness him in an altercation with Katiya since she had never seen him act so hostile toward anyone before.

"Do not act innocent with me. This is not like you," She said, gesturing at the Sully siblings. "Ever since their arrival, you have been nothing but unkind to them."

Aonung scoffed. "You do understand that by hiding them here, war will come to us, right? We've heard the stories, Reya. These Sky People will not give up until they get what they want."

As she contemplated his words, her breath hitched in her throat. War was the last thing she would want for her village.

"But must you be so harsh? If you do not like them, you do not have to teach them our ways."

"You know very well that I don't have a choice," he rolled his eyes. "Father's words are final."

"Mother and father have willingly accepted them. Why can't you?" She creased her brows in confusion.

"I'm just trying to protect our family," he remarked in a low, menacing tone. "These newcomers must leave. And if I have to do whatever it takes to make that happen, then so be it."

In disbelief, she stared at her brother with wide eyes. "Couldn't you at least pick on her brothers instead if you have to? Someone your size. Why must you pick on Katiya?"

"She's got a temper, easiest to provoke." Aonung scoffed.

Tsireya frowned, a sad look in her eyes as she gazed at Loak laughing with his siblings.

Despite her brother's hatred and the truth in his words, she still doesn't wish for the Sullys to leave.

After all, they left their home and ended up here because they wanted to protect their family too.

"Come on." Aonung's voice drew her attention back to him. "Let's go. And keep your distance from that forest boy."

In irritation, she spewed water at him.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Katiya winced from the painful ache in her wrist as her mother wrapped a white bandage around it.

"It seems you strained your wrist," Neytiri stated. "Relax it for a while and it should be good as new, Kati."

Katiya nodded, looking towards Kiri, who heaved heavily as she wrapped a cooked fish in a giant leaf.

"What is wrong?" Neytiri eyed her second daughter.

"Nothing," Kiri shook her head. "Why should there be anything wrong? The new life here is perfect."

A little tremor was evident in her voice as she uttered that last sentence, prompting Katiya to rub her back in a soothing manner.

"Oh, Kiri..." Neytiri's voice faded as she held her daughter's hand.