Lets go for a spin

Steve, who was obviously mad, slammed his door and started the car. It was silent and I couldn't stand it. "Look Steve, me and Dally aren't anything, his jacket was just in my room." I was desperate for him to say anything. " Well how'd it get in your room?" He asked, still a little mad. " The night I messed my wrist up at the party I got cold so he let me borrow his Jacket and he forgot about it." That was obviously a Lie who uses a Jacket inside while you're sleeping. " Oh okay that makes sense." He believed me, he actually believed me. 

     By the time we got to school I forgot all about Eli and the Rodeo. Once Steve parked his truck next to the other old trucks that were the same model just different colors and different amounts of rust. They were all sitting on the hood of the truck next to us. Steve jumped out and over to the other truck talking to his friends. I climbed out and put the tailgate down, climbed up and found a staggering cigarette in my jean pocket. Found a lighter and sat thinking to myself about who knows what but mainly what to do because Darry is gone he won't be back till around five. 

      Perfect time for a party but where. Not at the house won't have time to clean it up. In the mindset of my thoughts I saw a real fancy car well not fancy just nice park in Eli's spot I jumped of the tailgate and walked over to the car as he put the passenger window down "Damn nice ride Hunt'' I looked around at the entire cream colored leather seats cream colored carpet but a black dashboard. I stepped back to walk around the car. It had a weird paint job; it was like a shimmery blueish purple. With a paint stripe down the nose to the tail. There was a little scratch right above the shiny silver bumper.

      I walked back to the car window "Now where'd you get the money for this ride? '' I asked him and I looked around inside some more. " It's called a job. I thought you had one and don't call it sweet till you take it for a drive." He flashed a movie star smile not like Soda pops. It was different I can't explain but it was. He patted the seat which meant get in. So I did and by the time I closed the door Steve and all his other buddies were doing what I had already done walking around asking questions. "Alright guys alright calm down" Eli told them all because they were being louder than usual. " I'm gonna take KayLee for a spin be back soon." 

     He said as he started the car. Steve put his hand on the window before he rolled them up. " Don't be late Darry will kill me and you probably Eli too" Eli leaned forward " Got it she won't be late" Eli like halfway rolled his eyes as he rolled the window up and backed out. As we got further from the school Eli started to talk. " So Darry still dont like me huh?" He said as he glanced at me one hand on the wheel one on his thigh. " It's not that he dont like you, he's just my older brother he's supposed to I guess" I shrugged as I looked out the window. " So what do you doin after school?" he asked, looking at me again longer than before.

       " I got work with Steve and Soda, Darry's working late again. '' I said all that while whipping the dashboard clean. "That must suck not having him around a lot" He said it like he understood. I looked at him funny. " What?" he kinda laughed but not at the same time. "You're not the only one with family issues' ' He said as he looked back at the road. "At Least you got a parent figure I'm all on my own so be happy you got Darry '' He told me as he fixed his hat. "Sorry I didn't mean it like that, '' he tried to explain. " Don't stress, it's fine I get it". I saved him from apologizing. It's too awkward, it's just easier to act like nothing happened. "So where do you work?" He tried to keep up the conversation.

      " I work at DX. '' I replied shortly, there was no reason to go into big details. " So you got home fine after the rodeo I take it" The rodeo I forgot completely with Steve after. No wonder why he didn't want me to be late. He just didn't want me to be with Eli. " Yeah I did and speaking of the rodeo, thanks for helping me find Darry." I smiled at him. " No problem at all." He flashed a smile back, not a movie star one but a genuine smile. I looked over at him. His olive green eyes with his freckles that were faint but still there and his brown hair that was probably a mess under his hat. 

     I looked around his car looking for anything because I was bored. He noticed me " Whatcha lookin for" he asked, looking at me like I was crazy. " Nothing really, just looking around." After a few minutes I started hearing a rattling sound then looked at the time ' 8:02 ' class started at 7:40. "Oh shit' I mumbled "Eli it's 8:02' ' He looked at the time like he didn't believe me and when he did his eyes went wide he did a sharp U turn. 'Calm down, it's not fast and furious" I told him, then he slowed down.