Root beer

After a few minutes I walked off to go get a root beer. I love root beer. I would drink it all the time if Darry would let me. I got my root beer and made my walk back. On my way back some dude bumped into me and made me spill my drink. He ran off before I could say anything. Soda was in my spot again at that point I didn't care anymore. I just made my way around the gate. To my luck I saw the socs we ran into before. I tried my best not to freak out and just turned around making my way towards my brothers. 

The socs saw me and started to tail me. I walked faster but not fast enough. Bob cut me off. I could tell he was drunk. I could smell the whiskey from where I was standing. " What we got here now" he took a long swing of his canteen. "Why don't you come with us girly.' His friend Randy followed. "How about you pick up on some other girl that actually finds you attractive bud" I tried to walk through the pair who were standing side by side. They just blocked my path. "Where you goin" Randy who was taller then Bob and he bent down looking me in my eyes.

      "You're coming with us" he put his arm around my shoulders. I put my hand in my back pocket feeling for my switchblade. It wasn't there the dude must've pickpocketed me. At this point we started to walk through the crowd. Randy on my right Bob was just behind. There were other dudes too, I just didn't know them. There was only a few yards till we walked out of the rodeo. I took my chance and I ducked so Randy's hand fell and I ran. I stopped running after a bit once the crowd picked up. 

     I finally made it to Darry. The socs not too far behind. "Darry we gotta go right now." Without hesitation Darry shouted at the group that we had to leave. They listened as they always did. We started to walk out where the socs were. I was right by Darry's side as we walked past them. He knew at least I think he did because he glared at them as we walked past.Once we were about a block away I broke the silence "Sorry I ruined the fun" I tried to apologize. " Don't be sorry, it's fine them socs where gonna be sorry if anything." Two-bit replied. "You guys saw them y'all knew."

      "Me and Two-bit dont worry we were there if you needed it." He replied give me a half hug. I looked back behind me, Sodapop and Ponyboy were messing around as always. Two-bit and Darry were talking. Steve was in the back of the group just taking a hit of his cig stick. I started to walk slower until I stopped and was in the back with Steve. "You alright you gave Darry a scare back there." he said as he passed the stick to me. It was a bold move for me to do it right behind Sodapop who would tell Darry, then Darry himself. 

     " I'm alright I always am" Steve playfully put his arm around my shoulder as we walked side by side. I passed back his cancer stick. " So you and Eli huh never would've guessed that duo." We continued to talk, passing the cig back and forth in between each statement. " If i'm being real with you I don't even know how that happened we just ran into each other." I took a long drag. " Hey he messes with you I got your back unlike pretty boy sodapop." He teased my brother. I quickly passed the stick back as Soda turned around. " I may be pretty but I can stand up for my sister." he playfully tackled Steve as they started to wrestle. 

     Pony and I watched laughing as we messed with Soda's hair. Darry had heard the commotion and turned around. I thought he was gonna yell at the two instead he picked Soda up and threw him over his shoulder continuing the walk. At a faster place as we were almost home. Pone kept messing with him as me and Steve went back to how we were before. " Hey, do you know where Dally ran off he disappeared." Steve put out the cig butt. " Nope, no clue." I lied. I usually don't lie to Steve but I didn't want to be on the topic.

      "Weird" Steve had followed, trying to keep the conversation going. "Probably with some rodeo broad" I replied we both got a good laugh outta that one. We soon reached my house Steve's truck out front. "Careful drive home Steve." Darry shouted as he walked in the door, Soda still over his shoulder Pony not too far behind. Two-bit went his way.It was just me and Steve. "Want me to pick you up?" he started to climb in his truck. "Sure why not" I shut the door all the way he rolled the window down.

      "Do we have work tomorrow?" Steve asked Steve never remembered anything. " I think" I knew we had work, that was just my short answer. "Night Steve" I started to walk off. "KayLee remember what I said about Eli." He rolled his truck's engine. He had the window down. I ran back quickly " I will Steve" I kissed him. I don't know why I just did. He kissed back. A few long seconds went by. "Well goodnight to you too lady" he nodded his head and drove off. I went back inside, almost falling on the steps. Soda was on the couch stretched out. Darry was in the Kitchen.

      And I assumed Ponyboy was in his room. "What took you so long?" Darry asked from the kitchen. "We were trying to remember if we had work or not" I shouted back as I moved sodas feet out of the way. It was late. I didn't know how late. "Kay you need to get goin to bed it's almost quarter past one. I dragged my body off the couch when Soda stuck his legs back out. "Night Dar " I walked to the small hallway to my room. I took of Dally's jacket and threw it on the floor as I climbed into my warm bed.