Chapter 24: Now Slow, With Worry

Christopher

"It was so embarrassing! I damn near saluted him!" Reed flung himself down on one of the couches in the large family room. A few of the pups giggled. Several of the others sitting around nodded in agreement.

Most of them had been there when Alec got riled and everyone else has heard about it. Reed had told me the gist of what had happened right away but this was my first chance to hear about it in-depth.

It seems Alec's Luna connection is coming in nicely.

At dinner, the pack members had a change in attitude. Most of them didn't pop up at the table with extra food and the ones that did came with sheepish smiles.

"You know, I'd been joining when I told Alec I put him in charge."

"This is all your fault! Alec didn't even know what he was doing and I was acting like some little, toy soldier. Reed lifted his head only to shoot daggers at me. "I didn't know what to do! I just kept saying I was standing. I said it so many times!"

I have to cough to hold back laughing. "I know it's hard protecting Alec's knowledge but this is still a normal amount of time to take with human mates."

"Well, when was the last human that joined the pack with his Alpha mate's authority behind him?"

"Okay, I am sorry. I didn't know it would be quite so noticeable or inconvenient for everyone."

"How much longer?" Someone in the group speaks up.

"Alec has been handling a lot, finding out the way he did. Maybe a few weeks?" Strained looks are exchanged among the group. "Alec goes home tomorrow. I won't bring him to the pack house until after I tell him. I'm just hoping to strengthen our mate bond a little bit more. Alec is a little..."

"Fussy?" Reed helps. "Grumpy? Sensitive? Aggressive?"

Soft chuckles go around the room before the members nearest the hall stop, tilting their heads toward the doorway. Shortly, we all hear the group coming down the hall. Reed straightens and sits up.

Alec walks in with some of the other kitchen helpers. The only one not keeping their distance, and is currently engaged in lively talk with my mate, is Dee. Families start to split up after the dinner chores, some settle in for games and others retire to their rooms or elsewhere.

Alec comes and sits easily down next to me. He lets out a little sigh but gives me a small smile when he catches my eye. He tenses a little when I put my arm around him, neither leaning in nor pulling away.

"Thanks for helping clean up today."

Alec shakes his head side to side. "It's nothing, if I eat then I should clean."

"I still have a little bit more reading to get through, do you want to stay down here and play with the others?"

Alec looks around but turns to me to ask, "I'm a little tired, can I go up to your room?"

"Of course. If you don't mind, can I read there with you?"

"That's fine."

"Okay, I'll go grab my stuff, wait here!" I hurry out of the room and through the pack house. Quickly gathering my stuff before running back to Alec.

"You don't need to run."

"I didn't want you to wait long, you're tired. Let's go."

Alec is quiet and seems to be lost in his thoughts on the way up to the room. Getting back to my room, Alec shifts the folded pile of blankets he's been using to the side and settles down on one side of the couch. He immediately leans on elbow, propping his head up and closes his eyes.