Chapter 11: Dark Rains

Christopher

Alec, is it still okay for me to talk with you? ✅ Yesterday 8:43 PM

How are you doing? ✅ Today 7:46 AM

Do you just need some time? ✅ 7:52 AM

Did you stop and eat? Please make sure to eat something. ✅ 12:24 PM

I miss you. ▪️▪️▪️

Hesitating over the words I want to say most, my thumb pauses over send.  I haven't gotten a response from Alec since he kicked me out of his office. Of course his answer had been a big, fat "Get out!"

Expected but nonetheless painful. I should have kept my mouth shut.

I didn't even get a chance to tell him that I was going to be traveling out of town for the next couple of weeks. It's rather moot now; he isn't responding and I'm already traveling with part of the pack into the mountains.

Soon, our caravan will reach the Dark Rains pack borders.  As we get closer and closer to the pack's village, surrounded by some of the densest forests in the region, I'll lose my phone signal anyway.  Maybe it will be best, I obviously don't have the willpower to give Alec some time.  I can hope some of his temper has cooled by the time I get back to him.

Going to the district summit is an absolute in my life.  Everyone is welcome but an Alpha is only excused if there was a threat to the pack that kept us from visiting or for instances that they have to care for their mate or child.

Technically, I could not go this time.  I was tempted to stay back and resolve things with Alec.  Especially, since my parents are going and my dad is still considered Alpha by many.  However, since I haven't told the other packs in our district that I met my mate, it seemed best I didn't use that reason.  Plus, when my mom found out that I had messed up again, she told me that I needed to step back until I quit putting my foot in it.

Glancing up from my phone, I easily spot my parents sitting near the front of the van.  I chose to sit several rows back to avoid getting into any more talks about how I am handling my mate.  I appreciate their concern, but they're both werewolves.  They smelled each other once and have been together as mates ever since. They have the same problems any couple would have, but I'm just not sure they can understand what it feels like to have your mate outright hate you.

My parents found each other when they were still teenagers.  My mother, a warrior in her pack, and still holding a high rank among our warriors.  Tall, strong and wicked smart, she became a fierce mate to an Alpha, becoming the Luna of Shady Woods. My father has always seemed larger than life to me, both as my dad and my Alpha all my life.  I've always wanted to be brave, candid and intensely loyal like him.

My parents' relationship, and those of many other mates, are like ultimate goals for any werewolf.  It isn't just young that are unmated.  Even Mason, one of the warriors of our pack is almost my father's age and still hasn't found his soulmate.  The appreciation of finding Alec already in this life is almost as strong as the guilt and regret I have for constantly messing things up with him.

Closing my phone, I force my attention out the window and the scenery rushing past.  Despite the unsettled feelings within me, I need to focus on the upcoming district summit.  Our district has five packs and these semi-occasional summits are when we all meet up.  These festive gatherings serve many purposes.  The packs can discuss issues that affect one and all.  The unmated wolves seek out their mates and our mated members that came from other packs can visit family and friends.

The host pack changes each summit but going to the Dark Rains is my favorite.  They live almost in seclusion from humans and have opted out of many modern day technologies.  They live a little wilder, too. A little more free. A little furrier.