Chapter 23: Attention

Alec

Following Christopher outside, the cloudy afternoon is mild and comfortable. All around me is the incredible sight of wolves, in different types and sizes but all otherworldly, are running around. There are still some werewolves in their human form as well as just some regular humans, too.

Earlier, I got to tag along and attend the meeting with Christopher. The large gymnasium sized space was even larger than their dining hall. A circle of chairs spread out from the center, forming larger and larger rings with each row. Christopher and I sat in the smallest circle in the front row. He said there weren't assigned seats but, even so, it seemed to me that the seats Christopher and his parents took too became the point that all the others turned their bodies today. It was quite a new, unsettling experience.

I've had a lot of new experiences today. My cheeks still flush hot when I think about this morning in Christopher's office. I was swept away with Christopher's touch and the way he looked at me.

Very swept away.

During the meeting, I felt people glance at me and I worried that they could see the evidence of what Christopher and I had done, like a neon sign above my head. Christopher seemed very undisturbed by it all, focused intently on the meeting.

It was a side of Christopher I've never seen before. As the pack members were all invited to speak up about their thoughts of the lockdown and when it should end, Christopher listened attentively. His responses were calm and thought out. I had assumed Marlon would be the main speaker but it was Christopher who kept the meeting going.

Tomorrow, the lockdown will end but everyone is allowed outside in the yard today. Christopher's mother, Gina but everyone called Luna, had turned to me and asked if I didn't mind staying here one more night. I had never wanted to go home so bad in my life. However, put on the spot like that, all I could do was agree.

I can go home tomorrow. I can return to normal tomorrow.

Glancing over at Christopher, I wonder what normal will look like for me from now on.

After the meeting it was time to eat again. Keeping a wolf fed must be a full-time job, or maybe it's just a werewolf thing. I still wasn't hungry after that huge breakfast but a few nudges and Christopher ate anything leftover.

Afterwards we walked and walked through the pack house as Christopher gave me a more thorough tour. The layout is starting to make a little more sense to me. The shared spaces were less crowded, too, as many of the pack members had moved to the outside.

I was feeling kind of worn out already when Christopher asked if I, too, wanted to go outside. I agreed. He must have felt as cooped up as the others have.

The wolves running around almost resemble dogs playing except there is more order and control. They stay in certain areas and maintain their distance from others doing separate activities. Christopher was pointing around us and talking about the other buildings on the packs lands and what they are for. The words are going in one ear and out the next with all this visual over-stimulation. This commonplace scene to him is madness to me.

Further past the grass, I see a large group of werewolves in formation, looking like they are doing a group exercise. Two werewolves stand in front of them, one an older man with a sturdy muscular frame that I had met earlier at the meeting, Mason, I think The other one was Reed.

I have two embarrassing moments from today that still make my skin crawl when I see Reed. The first being when I was sprawled out on Christopher's sofa, blind to the world around us, just feeling Christopher's large hands and hot tongue. Only to be interrupted by Reed's Hey, vet, let me have Christopher for a moment.