Chapter 19: Questions, Concerns and Demonstrations

Alec

Ahhh! That pervert picked out my underwear too!

Silently holding in my scream, I scrunch up the pair of boxers pulled from my bundle of clean clothes. I already feel like my skin is flayed off, after all the scrubbing to get rid of the dried sweat and blood. I just glare at the garment. In the end I have to put the clothes on, getting dressed in whatever Christopher had handed me back at my apartment.

The shower didn't calm me down so much as having the time in a room to myself did. I needed space alone without the presence of everyone who was causing me stress. I tried to let the steady stream pummel the remaining echo of Christopher's voice in my head, out of my head.

Pulling on the last of my clothes and buttoning my shirt, I feel as if I have to make a decision. Do I believe them all? Werewolves, talking into each other's minds, being a freaking pack of wolves? Or do I not believe it? Maybe I should just bide my time, pretend to play along, until I can get out of here?

Putting my hand on the doorknob, I hesitate. I stare blankly at the closed door in front of me. I take a deep breath. It's okay, I remind myself. I am going to hear Christopher out for now at least.

Leaving the bathroom, taking the small hallway to the living... area? I am not sure, Christopher's room looks more like a small apartment than a bedroom. When we first walked in the space was crowded with furniture pushed against furniture. I recognized it as the furniture that Christopher had purchased for me without my permission.

Huge recliner, dressers and a large, comfy looking mattress, all pushing up against a long sofa and matching end tables. The walls were crowded with bookshelves filled up from top to bottom with a stacked-together mess of books. I almost missed seeing the small kitchenette off to the side and the hallway leading to the bath and bedroom.

Christopher must have pushed the mattress and extra furniture off to one side while I was showering, leaving him room to now pace in front of the sofa. Stopping and turning when I join him, he is again wearing that annoying smile.

Except... Now that I'm not freaking out one hundred percent, his eyes look strained and worried. This must not be much easier for him either, me finding out.

Christopher clears his throat. "Um, how are you?"

Soundlessly my mouth opens but I don't know how to answer that, so I close my mouth with a shrug.

"Do you want to sit down?" He gestures to the sofa.

Nodding with more confidence than I feel, I sit down gingerly. Christopher also sits down opposite me. My eyes look at everything around the room except him.

"Do-" Christopher stops and clears his throat again. "Do you have any questions?"

I look over at him sitting lightly on the edge of the cushion. "Christopher, I'm here already. And I'm willing to listen. Why are you still so nervous? Is there something else worse going on?"

"No! No, it's just that..." Christopher's hands tighten on his lap. "Are you going to dump me!?"

Wide-eyed, I stare at him, once again without an answer. He silently watches me, determined to get an answer. "I, uh, I'm not going to make any decisions right now. About anything, I just, I just need to understand everything first."

Nodding slightly, Christopher takes a deep breath, after blowing it out he looks a little more like the Christopher I'm familiar with. "Okay, that's fair. Thank you."

"Mm-hmm."

"Is there something...that you want to know first?"

"Um, there were a lot of...people downstairs. Are they all, you know?"