Chapter 20: Luna

Christopher

"Was showing the council that arrow the right thing?"

"This again? It's already done." Rolling my eyes towards Reed I follow him into my office. He slings himself down on the couch, arms crossed. His brow is furrowed as he concentrates.

"There's something weird about it. Until we know more you Alphas should have kept it in the pack." He voices his question to me how he wouldn't do with my father. After closing the door, I cross to my desk to sit down.

"Did you recognize the arrow?"

Reed glares over at me. We've already been over this. "No."

"Did you recognize the scent?" One of the patrol scouts had picked up on the unfamiliar scent but Reed had been able to investigate it at the beginning of the search

"No, but-" He pauses.

"But?"

"But why would someone head that way to the clinic? No one outside of the pack knows about Alec yet."

"We discussed that with my parents before the call." We felt confident that no one in the pack would have disclosed something so personal as an unaware human Luna. "Whoever was out there could have picked up my scent, it's strong with all the frequency I go to the clinic."

"But don't you find it too strange?"

"That I got shot with an arrow in my mate's backyard? No, what's weird about that." I snark back while I try to sort the papers on my desk, deciding what I need to take care of urgently and what can wait. Reed's concern stems from his fear for me and I know he's not going to let up until we get some answers.

Reed sits up quickly and I can feel his glare. "Maybe I should be more surprised that you got shot in your mate's yard and it wasn't by Alec himself!" He huffs out.

Covering my face with some of the papers, I stifle a laugh. It wasn't funny. But...Alec does have a cute temper on him and Reed usually sees him riled up. The thought is so clear I can almost picture it. "I was a wolf, Alec wouldn't hurt an animal."

Reed sighs, coming up and sitting across from me. His body relaxes more against the chair, his eyebrows more relaxed. "I was just joking but damn, I think he could pull it off. It's just that. I'm so pissed that whoever it was got so close to you. To both of you!"

Leveling a look at Reed, "I know, that scares me the most. But we got lucky this time and we're going to find out who it is."

"Do you think the council will organize a hunting party?"

"Not sure. It's been less than a day but we lost the precious first few hours for a search because of me."

"Yeah, you got shot, way to go, idiot."

I just roll my eyes but am relieved Reed is joking at least. He doesn't do his best thinking when he's riled up. If I'm honest with myself, even though we requested it, a hunting party now wouldn't be very effective. Usually, the pack would deal with something like this first and go to the council later. However, everything happened so suddenly and by the time the pack was aware it was a rush to get me and Alec home safely.

Once I brought Alec home, my attention focused on him. Compared to some of the other human mates I've witnessed finding out, Alec was really calm. Those times aren't all bad, some of the human mates are ecstatic to find out about us werewolves. Alec...is hard to read.

After he watched me shift, he was still calm but seemed more emotional. I was expecting more hesitation, more disbelief. Instead he wrapped his arms around me until the exhaustion overtook him and he fell asleep leaning against me. He didn't even stir when I shifted back and carried him to the couch. I wanted to place him in my bed and cuddle him but knew he wouldn't be comfortable with that. Instead, I settled for sitting beside him and enjoying my time watching him sleep. When my dad called for me, I had to leave before Alec woke up.