Pyramid Scheme (8)

Start from the beginning

   "Ee-eeeee...I was only joking..." Miu whimpered. "Stop takin' everything so seriously!"

   "C'mon, HimiKibbles 'n' Bits," Kokichi said, leading Himiko across the room. They sat down on the floor and Himiko laid her head on Kokichi's shoulder. Kokichi leaned forward to whisper to her.

   "So what's going on, Himiko?" he asked her. "Why do you keep acting so weird?"

   "I...I'm not sure," Himiko whispered back. "One minute I feel...normal, and the next minute, I feel powerful...in a way that I've never felt before. I feel as if I have...control over you guys as if you were my...my..."

   "Loyal subjects?" Kokichi asked with a smile.

   "Yeah..." Himiko whispered softly. Kokichi looked back up at the drawing of Queen Yuwanapisami. It was true that she looked so similar to Himiko. He shifted his eyes to the long, slender, golden object she was holding in her hand. He gasped upon immediately recognizing the object.

   "Himiko..." he whispered. "Look at her scepter!" Himiko looked up at the drawing and gasped, as well. 

   "Nyeh...that looks exactly like my..." she began.

   "...Guardian Mage staff," Kokichi finished. "Himiko, what Kiyo said about you being related to her might be right after all!"

   "You...really think so?" Himiko asked.

   "Yeah, and it would make sense!" Kokichi replied. "It explains why your magic has been so reactive inside this pyramid! You have a connection to it because you're connected to Queen Yuwanapisami! She could also wield magic, and she was a Guardian Mage just like you are!"

   "S-So...does that explain why I've been acting weird?" Himiko asked.

   "M-Maybe...her ghost is...possessing you?" Kokichi guessed with uncertainty. Himiko looked at him with horror. 

   "That's creepy!" she whispered with a shudder.

   "I could be wrong," Kokichi pointed out. "Maybe it could be your magic doing that. Like, it's somehow connecting your spirit with the queen's."

   "Nyeh...I hope that's the case," Himiko mumbled. They looked back at the drawing of Queen Yuwanapisami in wonder. "I can't believe I'm related to royalty," Himiko said. 

   "I can't believe your lineage goes all the way back to ancient Egypt!" Kokichi said. "That's really interesting!"

   "I also didn't know that I was related to another Guardian Mage," Himiko breathed. "I've never even met another Guardian Mage before."

   "Oh, yeah, you said that you were practically born with it, right?" Kokichi asked, remembering the time when he and Himiko ventured underwater to the kingdom of Aquatica. 

   "Yeah, and it's not common to be born a Guardian Mage, you have to earn it," Himiko replied. "At least, that's what I was always taught."

   "That's what you were always taught, huh?" Kokichi asked, tapping his chin in thought. "Hm...that could be a lie, y'know?"

   "Now that I think about it, you're probably right," Himiko replied softly. 

    "How have you not met another Guardian Mage before?" Kokichi asked. "Are they rare, or something?"

   "Mm...I'm not sure," Himiko admitted quietly. The more she thought about it, the more she began to question the things she had been taught. 

   "You guys done yet over there?!" Miu called to them impatiently. "We're ready to move on!"

   "Ready, Monkey Buns?" Kokichi asked Himiko. Himiko nodded. Kokichi gave her a small kiss on her forehead before helping her stand up. They then rejoined the others. Underneath the drawing of Queen Yuwanapisami was an entryway. 

   "I suppose we should go inside, don't you think?" Kiyo asked.

   "Yes...that is the burial chamber that you have been seeking," Himiko replied. Her voice was low and steady as if she were in a trance. 

   "There you go, speakin' all weird again!" Miu said, shuddering. "It creeps me the hell out!" 

   "Are you sure you're okay, Himiko?" Kaito asked. Himiko shook her head to clear her mind. 

   "Nyeh...I'm fine," she mumbled. She looked to Kokichi, who smiled and took her hand in his. "I'm feeling much better, now," she said, smiling back at him.

   "Then, let us proceed," Kiyo said and led them into the queen's burial chamber.