The Water Kingdom (2)

Kokichi and Himiko were walking underwater against the damp sand with a giant air bubble circling them, thanks to Himiko's magic. Kokichi looked around him in amazement as the fish, and other ocean creatures, swam around them; it was as if they were inside a mobile aquarium. Kokichi even stuck his finger out into the water and touched a few fish.

   "Hahahaha....this is so awesome!" Kokichi said, laughing with joy. Then, he turned to Himiko. "Have you always been able to do this? Can all mages go underwater? Can they change their appearance like you did? Do all mages have a magical staff like that? Can you-"

   "Nyeh...that's too many questions," Himiko groaned. "What was the first question?"

   "Oh, I asked if you've always been able to do this," Kokichi replied. 

   "Nyeh...as far as I know," Himiko replied. 

   "What do you mean by that?" Kokichi asked.

   "Well...I'm a Guardian Mage," Himiko replied. Kokichi's eyes widened with fascination.

   "That sounds so cool! What does a Guardian Mage do?" Kokichi asked. 

   "Nyeh...Guardian Mages wield the power of all the elements, so it's our job to guide less powerful mages, and other magical creatures...and in this case, humans, too, I suppose...across the different elemental kingdoms," Himiko explained. "So, if someone from Aquatica wanted to go to the fire kingdom of Obsidian for whatever reason, it's up to a Guardian Mage to take them there." She pointed to her staff. "This is the staff of a Guardian Mage," she said. "That's how magical beings can distinguish a Guardian Mage from a regular one."

   "I see, I see!" Kokichi exclaimed with glee. Himiko suddenly looked troubled.

   "But...to be a Guardian Mage, you have to earn it," she said. "I'm not exactly sure how I earned my status as a Guardian. Sometimes...I feel as if I was born with it."

   "Is that a bad thing?" Kokichi asked.

   "No..." Himiko replied. "But, it definitely is unusual."

   "Hmmm...I see..." Kokichi replied in a more pensive tone. They were quiet for a while when Himiko suddenly spoke up.

   "Nyeh...look ahead," she said to Kokichi. Using her staff, she pointed to a large structure in the distance. Kokichi couldn't see too clearly due to the blurriness of the ocean water. But the closer they got, the more he was able to make out a large castle with ridges and beautiful swirl designs that shone through the water. Kokichi's mouth dropped open. He took a few steps forward when Himiko suddenly held out her hand in front of him. "Nyeh...stop right here," Himiko said, and pointed down. Kokichi saw that they were standing at the edge of a trench. When he looked below him, he saw a massive underwater valley. Inside the valley was city that stood at the foot of the large castle. Behind the castle was the other side of the trench.

   "Hah....hahaha....hahahahahaha...this is so freaking cool!!" Kokichi said, hopping up and down with sheer joy and excitement.