Chapter 39

Theo walks me out to his gorgeous rooftop infinity pool that overlooks the entire city. "We can eat out here tonight, if you want." He turns on classic jazz music to play from his sound system in the background.

This is like a dream.

"I'd like that," I say, "and I'm impressed." I walk up to the edge of the rooftop deck and look down on the city. The air is clear up here away from the traffic. "You know what would make this penthouse even better?" I ask him. Turning and looking into the spacious and beautiful modern space with marble ceilings, wall hangings of gorgeous figure art, and black leather furniture.

"A dancing pole set up right in that sitting area," I tell him, pointing at the space. "It makes every space better."

"I can definitely arrange that, in fact, I'll have it delivered tomorrow," Theo says, his eyes flashing. "On one condition."

"What's that?" I ask.

"As soon as you are well enough, you'd have to put on a show for me. I'll expect you to dance for me," Theo says.

"I'd love to dance only for you, Mr. Thatcher," I accidentally say it and I shut my mouth. Hopefully he didn't catch how intensely committed that sounds.

"There's a guest bedroom all set up where you can rest, Evie, it's on the other side of the kitchen, you can do whatever you want to do before dinner. I'm going to take a nap in my room," Theo says. "Don't disturb me. Even if you're tempted."

"Yes, Mr. Thatcher," I say with a wink.

Theo kisses my neck and walks back into the penthouse, crossing the living room to a hall where I believe the master bedroom has to be.

I stay outside after Theo leaves, it's a cloudy day, and I know a thunderstorm is building in those dark, puffy clouds above us. I breathe in the salty breeze, and looking out at the blue bay and port the city was built on.

"Thank you," I whisper into the breeze.

I pull out my phone from my pocket and decide to call Autumn to check in. Part of me wonders if Mom came back to the house or not.

"Hey, Evie, where are you?" Autumn answers immediately. "How are you?"

"I texted you that I was going to Theo's," I tell her.

"Yeah, that's crazy, and I'm so confused, can you fill me in?" Autumn asks. "Like, why were you kissing him?"

"I'm not sure how much I can say, just know that whatever the media is saying, it's basically all bullshit," I say.

"All of it?" Autumn sounds skeptical.

"Theo's girlfriend was cheating on him," I begin, but then I stop myself. Can I go into details with her about the nature of the kinky arrangement I'd signed on for and the payout for doing it? Probably best to just let it all drop. "It's a complicated situation."

"Yeah, it seems like it," Autumn says, but her tone is not judgmental. "I can't believe he did that to you." She's talking about Mac now.

"I'd told you he had cheated on me and was controlling and difficult and had a cocaine problem," I say to her. "I told you many times."

"I don't know why I didn't, like, really take that as seriously as I should have, I'm really sorry, Evie," Autumn says, it sounds like she's about to cry. "I mean, there's blood still on the tile. I haven't been able to clean it up. I'm just a mess about what happened. I can't believe he did that and I feel—"

"Let me stop you right there," I say firmly, "you did not make Mac do what he did. Yeah, you should have listened to me and not Mom and you definitely should not have left me alone with him. But I'm pretty sure you're beating yourself up enough right now."

"I can't believe Uncle M—Ew you were so right," Autumn stops herself. "Why did he have me call him Uncle Mac?"

"Who the fuck knows?" I say with a sigh. "I don't want to talk about that creep anymore, and even though he attacked me, I don't want to feed anymore fear to him, he doesn't deserve us to even say his name or speak of him. I was really calling to make sure you were okay and ask about Mom."

"Mom's gone, I don't know where she went," Autumn says softly, she's crying again. "I wish our life was different, Evie. It's so embarrassing. I can't believe I trusted her."

"You can't help that she's your mom, honey," I say, "but you can learn how to take care of yourself. That's what I want for you. Because you're stronger than you know."

"When will you be back? I miss you," Autumn says, ignoring my compliment.

"I'll keep you posted, make sure you get to work today," I tell her. "And... It might be a little bit till I see you again. Theo is—he's a good guy. I know that's not what it may look like by the way the media is talking about him, but in this case, they're wrong. I believe I'm hanging out with a good man, Autumn."

"Be careful, Evie," Autumn warns.

"I will, you too, Autumn," I say and hang up the phone.

If Theo does stick around in my life, she'll come around to him too. I have a feeling she'll even like him.

I walk over to the edge of the pool and dip a toe in.

The water is perfect.

I slip out of my dress that Autumn had brought along for me to wear coming home from the hospital and place it on a chair, then I wade into the pool.

I can check off my bucket list skinny dipping in a rooftop pool now.

Theo walks out onto the rooftop deck.

"What sort of mischief are you up to?" He asks me with a grin.

"I thought you were going to take a nap," I say to him.

"I was until I saw from my window that you were getting naked outside," Theo admits.

"Perv, watching me," I say, splashing water in his direction.

Theo stands on the edge of the pool and crouches down. His eyes do not leave me. "Come over here, Evie."

I do as I'm told, swimming over to him and perching myself right on the edge of the pool. "Are you going to join me?"

Theo cups my chin in his hands and kisses me. "How can I resist a siren like you, Evie?"

Theo rises up and removes his shirt, and I longingly gaze at all those sharp ridges on his muscular frame, aching to run my hands over and explore, memorize, and taste him.