The Bostonian Museum

Start from the beginning

"It's a really shitty one." She said. 

Joel looked towards Maeve, "Well then, how come you know so much?" He said, bringing up Maeve's generous amount of knowledge. 

"I read. A lot." She answered simply. 

"Oh like a book-bug." Joel said confidently.

Although he was quickly shot down as Maeve and Ellie looked towards him with the same confused look.

Maeve thought for a moment, thinking of what he could of meant. 

"Book-worm?" She said.

"You know what I meant." He said, before returning to the previous question. 

Maeve just laughed slightly as he began to talk. 

He nodded before answering, "Well, some last about a month or two. But there's others been walking around about 20 years."

Maeve let out a short sigh, just wanting to get off of the topic of infected.

"Ever kill one?" Ellie kept going.

"Yeah, I killed lots of them." Joel answered.

"Was it hard? Like knowing they were people once." Ellie continued. 

Daniel. His laugh. His voice. Them walking together along their three month journey. Her brother. Her family. 

And now he was referred to as one of 'them'. 

It all hit Maeve as she was sitting their, her ear beginning to ring louder.

"Sometimes." Joel replied, before looking over, seeing Maeve stressing out a bit. 

"Hey." He said, trying to get her attention. 

She didn't even move as he spoke up again.

"Maeve." He said a bit louder.

Maeve shot her head up in his direction, his voice reaching over the ringing.

"You okay?" He asked with his brow furrowed in concern. 

She took a moment, looking between Ellie and Joel before replying, 

"Yeah." She said silently.

Joel knew it was lie as much as Ellie did, as she sat there with a dazed look on her face, distancing herself once again.

Suddenly there was movement down the hallway.

All three of them stood up anticipating something bad. 

They were quickly relieved as Tess's voice rang out through the corridor,

"You can put the gun down, Joel."

After another few moments, Tess opened the door.

"What now?" Joel asked. 

Tess didn't say anything, but she slightly nodded her head, indicating that the group needed to check something out. 

Maeve's nerves instantly spiked, knowing that things were going too easy for the group. 

Tess led them out to a patio where she pulled back a clear sheet.

Maeve and Ellie made their way towards the edge of the balcony.

Maeve stepped up on the ledge so she could see what was happening.

Her heart dropped at the sight.

Infected. And a whole lot of them.

They were all just writhing around on the ground, no thoughts, no independence, nothing.