chapter one hundred and twenty five

Start from the beginning

"Who are they?"

This time, Reese rolls his eyes. "Family or family friends. We good now?"

Alya glares until the trio disappears and then focuses her attention on Reese. "You feeling better now?"

He nods. "Nina's hugs feel nice."

"We should find somewhere to sit and eat. I'm hungry."

"Hey, buttercup, how was school?"

"That's because my name is Reese, isn't it?"

"Yeah. Do you hate it?"

"It's alright. I just remember being a kid and other kids finding joy in calling me a reese's peanut butter cup or reese's pieces."

"Reese's pieces is kinda cute though, no?"

Reese gives the man a look. "Do you think Marky is cute?"

"Okay, I see your point. Really though, how was your day?"

"Are you curious or did one of the girls text you?"

"Wait, did something happen?"

"Just got stressed earlier and needed a five-minute hug. Nina hugged me, which was nice." Mark opens his arms and squeezes Reese when he hugs him. "You're warm."

"Really? I think Jaemin and Haechan are the warmest."

"They do have that warm, cuddly vibe. Especially Haechan. He reminds me of a teddy bear."

"I agree."

"Hey", Jaemin says, entering the house with Minjae and Affinity.

"Hi, pretty", Mark greets quietly before kissing him.

"Hi, Bubs." When they pull away, Jaemin pulls Reese in for a hug and smiles at him. "Hi, you." While the two hug, Minjae and Affinity take turns hugging Mark. Remembering the mail in his hands, Jaemin searches for a specific envelope. "The orphanage sent us a letter."

The five huddle together as Jaemin opens the envelope and takes out a flyer inviting them to a mother-son dance. Jaemin skims to rest of the text and realizes why they received it.

"That's nice."

The three kids make mumbled sounds of agreement, having lost interest in the letter as it doesn't apply to them. Mark watches them with worry, unable to tell if they're truly okay or not.

Searching for a snack in the fridge, Minjae tells them, "You'll probably get another letter next month. There's a father-daughter dance too."

"Do you wanna go?"

"I do!" Affinity calls from the living room.

"Sure", the teen adds.

"What happened when Haechan found you?"

"He told me to get down but I didn't wanna go inside so I got down and ran away." Lenas mouth falls open in shock, making Alyssa laugh. "He got me eventually. He was pissed. When we went inside, I started crying and Kade finally decided to come out of his room to ask why I was crying."