𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟖: 𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐎𝐖 𝐓𝐀𝐋𝐊.

When Jackie found out it was Niraiya's birthday, the Puerto Rican woman threw a fit before abruptly grovelling at Niraiya's feet with apologies and promises to make it up to her

When Jackie found out it was Niraiya's birthday, the Puerto Rican woman threw a fit before abruptly grovelling at Niraiya's feet with apologies and promises to make it up to her. Niraiya reassured her that it was fine—not a big deal, and that she was grateful to be welcomed into their home unannounced on a holiday which should only be spent with family.

Jackie turned to her with a confused look on her face.

"Niraiya, you are family—have been ever since you walked through that front door."

Niraiya hid her smile in Kay's shoulder after that.

Kay, on the other hand, remained passive and uninterested in any of the conversations that took place. He really only responded to Bree and his mom when they talked—pointedly ignoring his brother, who seemed used to the silent treatment.

It was only after Niraiya had gone to help Jackie bring in some type of dessert that all hell broke loose, and they walked into Kay and Natty standing chest-to-chest, a heated argument ensuing. Niraiya quickly moved to pull Kay away while Jackie restrained her oldest son, Bree hid in the corner—confused and scared, her bottom lip trembling. Kay stormed out after that, with Niraiya quickly following after him.

"That nigga stay testing me bro, word to my dead," Kay kissed his teeth, "and if I touch him, I'm the one in the wrong and I'ma make my dukes upset because he barely comes around at all." They stood just outside the front door, and Niraiya wrapped her arms around herself, trying to fight the cold.

"What happened?" She asked softly.

"I don't wanna talk about it honestly," he shook his head, "I just need to get out of here."

"Okay," Niraiya mumbled, her hands tucked under her arms, "do you—wanna go back to mine?" Her aunt would still be gone for a few days which meant the apartment was blissfully empty.

"Yeah, let's go," Kay nodded, "go get your shit, I'll bring the car around."

Niraiya nodded before she quietly entered the Perez house again. It was eerily silent, and Niraiya managed to grab her things off the floor by the front door, spinning on her heel to leave when she caught sight of Jackie emerging from the hallway.

"I'm sorry, Niraiya," Jackie frowned, a tray of food in her hands, "you guys are leaving? Is Kevin okay?"

"Y-yeah, we are," Niraiya mumbled, fixing her tote bag on her shoulder, "Kay said he wanted to go. I'm so sorry, Tía."

"No, I'm sorry, my sons—they're—" Jackie sighed, looking utterly defeated and torn, "they weren't always like this." Kay's mom sniffled lightly.

"Oh, Tía," Niraiya frowned, saddened by the look on Jackie's face.

"It's fine--I'm fine, I know they have their differences, yet they're both so similar, so they're always fighting." Jackie stated. "Just... take this. Its food. Kay hasn't eaten yet. I packed enough for both of you. Please take care of my son. He showed me your song earlier this morning; it's lovely. I hope to hear it live one day." Jackie smiled, arms outstretched. Niraiya inhaled shakily, nodding as firmly as she could, thanking her under her breath, accepting the tray of food. Jackie held the door open for her, watching as Niraiya walked down the yard, entering Kay's grey hellcat. The car stayed there for a few minutes before it drove away.