𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟓: 𝐍𝐈𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐘𝐀'𝐒 𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐆.

It wasn't long before Niraiya had to face reality

It wasn't long before Niraiya had to face reality. She showed up on her parents' doorstep right on time, lying straight through her teeth about a flight they thought she'd taken only an hour before. She was welcomed back with open arms, and she actually felt relieved when her older sister, Lina, hugged her tightly--a comfort she didn't know she missed. Her phone had been on Do Not Disturb for the past three days as she just tried to pick herself back up, help out her mom with the holiday cooking and decor before the big day finally arrived.

She woke up that morning, drool dried on the side of her face, a bright light flashing in her eyes.

"Happy birthday, Tita Nene!" Her niece, Eva, squealed. Her family stood around her, holding a single confetti cupcake with a small lit candle. Niraiya forced herself to smile, thanking them all profusely, blowing out the candle--her wish coming and going. Once she had done that, Eva raced out of the room, eager to tear down the mountain of gifts under the large Christmas tree her mother had bought a few years back and her sister sighed, muttering under her breath. Everyone came forward to hug her and Niraiya returned them weakly, holding onto her aunt a bit longer before they walked out of her room, leaving her to get ready.

The birthday excitement wasn't even there, but Niraiya forced herself to get up, rolling out of bed and getting ready for the long day ahead of her. Not even an hour late, as she sat at her vanity, applying concealer to cover up the dark circles under her eyes, she heard the front door open and loud chatter enter the house. Her cousins were here, and she braced herself as exactly twelve minutes later, Sav entered her room with a small smile.

"Hi Sav, Merry Christmas," Niraiya smiled at her through her mirror, busying her hands with applying bronzer.

"Happy Birthday Nene, sorry, I left your gift back at the house," Sav said calmly, and Niraiya was a little unnerved by the lack of energy in her voice.

"Its fine--you good, Sav? Your energy feels so different," Niraiya frowned, setting her makeup brush down.

"I'm good, I'm good," Sav replied, "can I turn on your TV though?" The girl asked, reaching across Niraiya's bed to grab the remote to the smart TV mounted onto the wall near her dresser.

"Yeah, go for it," Niraiya shrugged, resuming her makeup routine, "are we ready to leave? Is the food done cooking?"

"Nah, Leanna's helping your mom, said something about the rice burning, and the kids are running around, trying to open one of their gifts."

Niraiya smiled to herself. Yeah, that sounded pretty accurate. It was always tradition to spend holidays at her aunt's house, since Momma couldn't leave and no one wanted to leave her on her own. Leanna and Sav mainly came over to help with the gifts and food that had to be brought over, and then the whole day was spent opening gifts, eating, and celebrating. She continued with her makeup routine, hearing Sav turn on her TV, connecting her phone to it.