xlvii. desperate times equals desperate measures

Start from the beginning

Rowan ran forward to meet one halfway. The half-breed stalked toward her slowly, her mouth in a scowl, "Abaddon." Her voice was scratchy and hoarse, "I see you also escaped."

"Angela." The brunette spat out, "I thought I killed you."

"That was my sister, you bitch!" The Harpy leaped forward, grabbing her shoulders and lifting her up from the ground with her magnificent claws. Rowan grunted from the sharp talons digging into her skin.

The creature kept flying upward, but Rowan wasn't worried about the drop. The girl grabbed the dagger and used all her strength to lift her arm and saw off the bottom of her leg. The monster screeched but only released her on that side. She was now only hanging on by her one shoulder. How did she survive Olympus for four years?

M'gann flew up, "I'm coming, Rogue." The redhead raced toward her, causing the creature to screech. The Martian was now level with the harpy, "Release my friend or face the consequences."

The monster began to laugh, but it sounded more like a shriek, "Friend? Abbadon has no friends." Before she could say anything else, Rowan timed her movements and grabbed onto the creature's flapping wing. But, since the Harpy was so strong, all it did was push her out of the claws, and now Rowan was only still in the air because her hands were still grasping her wing.

The girl's shoulder hurt like a bitch from the claws that scratched her skin, "Why are you attacking this city?"

"Zeus wants you, my dear." Her cackle suffocated them like an itchy blanket in the summer.

Rowan grunted as she felt her fingers slipping from the feathers, but she needed answers, "I thought you got sent to The Pit because you didn't want to be one of Zeus' hounds?"

"Desperate times call for desperate measures, my dear." Her yellow eyes stared into hers, "You know a thing or two about that, don't you, Abbadon?"

Rowan clenched her jaw and decided to do something risky. She balled up her fists around the feathers and yanked, causing her to drop. The Harpy screamed as its skin was torn by Rowan, but as the said girl began to fall, she yelled out, "Now!"

M'gann flew at maximum speed toward the creature, burying the ebony knife into her heart.

Rogue felt the wind flow through her body. It was almost calming to the girl and she decided this was the best way to go. Even if she didn't die today, she thought falling was going to be the gentlest. 

The wind was knocked out of the girl as she felt two hands grasp her body. She looked to her right to find Rocket carrying her. Rowan smiled slightly as she realized that the team was looking out for her.

Once they finally settled on the ground, she found the rest of them in a circle, surrounding the harpies that held knives in their hearts.

Rowan left Rocket's side and walked forward, everyone watching her movements. She looked at Flicker as she knew that he had a lighter. The boy knew exactly what she was thinking and he was on board with it. 

He walked forward and placed the lighter in her hands, causing Nightwing to finally step in, "We aren't killing them!" Rowan noticed that he wasn't angry, but more frustrated. But, not at her, but at himself for letting her be like this. 

Rowan wasn't Dick's to save anymore. And, that's what frustrated him the most.

The girl sighed, her jaw clenching, "It's what has to be done."

"No. We could lock them up—"

"How has that worked out for you, huh?" She stepped closer to him, "How many criminals escaped and walk free to this day?" The girl watched as his demeanor slowly became shy, "How many people have to die for you to realize that what you're doing, isn't working?"