xlvii. desperate times equals desperate measures

Start from the beginning

"I'll go." Rowan frowned slightly as Dick walked forward. They haven't spoken since the Wayne Ball and she wasn't planning on it either. But, it just seemed he wouldn't leave her alone unless he got the answers he wanted.

Dick looked stronger and she knew he had a background in gymnastics, making him flexible and fast. But, she also knew Dick wasn't equally balanced with his left foot when fighting. He seemed to favor his right foot more. She knew it back then and it seemed like the only thing that never changed about him. Well, except for his stubbornness. That never seemed to leave him.

Rowan got in a fighting stance as the boy did the same. She knew that he liked to distract her and he was doing it now as he stretched his biceps. When the hell did he get so hot?

"You okay, Rogue? You look a little distracted." He was trying to fluster her, but two could play that game.

The girl smirked at the boy, "I'm alright, Nightwing." She watched as his grin widened, "How's being the leader? Oh, wait, sorry, I forgot that Kaldur still is." Much to her liking, she heard a slight grunt from the boy, "You okay, Nightwing? You look a little distracted."

He lunged forward, preparing to tackle the girl. But, Rowan moved slightly, smacking her elbow down onto his spine. But, as she said before, he was fast for his body size. Right as she did the action, the boy turned around and grabbed her arm, pulling her into his chest.

"I guess you could say I'm distracted," Dick whispered into her ear.

A faint blush coated her cheeks, but she pushed down the emotions. As she was pulled into his chest, she lifted her knee up and hit him right in the dick. He immediately stepped away, bent down, and groaned, closing his eyes in order to control himself.

Rowan took the opportunity to run forward. Using his bent knee to hoist herself up, she jumped over his shoulder, throwing her arm around his throat, and began choking him. Dick began to gasp, but she also knew all his ways of getting out of this, causing information to once again, save the day.

The girl kicked behind his left knee, leading him to fall down to his knees. She bent down and put her mouth right next to his ear, "Next time, bird boy, remember how easy it was for me to take you down. But, I get it, I would be distracted by me too."

With that, she pushed him down, causing the floor to light up red in failure.

The team was in Central City, watching flying creatures circle above them. There were about five of them, screeching at each other. Rowan had fought only two of these in her lifetime. They were cruel and vile creatures.

Harpies.

Batman said she could go on this mission as he said, and Rowan quotes, 'You fought them. Now, teach everyone else.' That was what she was now doing.

Rowan looked at the team around her, "These things are destructive and would never show mercy." She watched as the Atlantians were confused, "They're called Harpies and are bringers of death. They escaped Olympus and we must kill them to send them to Tartarus."

Dick immediately shook his head, "We don't kill."

"For these; we do." She gave them each one of her daggers, "Only ebony daggers kill them. Once you stab them in their heart, set them on fire. That's the only way to make sure they are dead."

Once again, the Wayne boy commented, "We don't kill, Rogue."

"These aren't human, Nightwing." She looked back up at the creatures. They were human-sized and had the body of a Hawk, but the head of a woman, "They're monsters."

Nobody had enough time to react as the five harpies swooped down, screeching at them. Everyone got in a fighting stance, ready to battle for their lives.