20. See You.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BROWN SUGA BABE  |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over that next week, Summer and Joanna had only seen each other one more time since the night they spent together at Summer's apartment. They'd gone out for brunch that Sunday but hadn't seen each other since.

Between work, her nail appointments, and driving out to Long Island with Sunny to visit their parents, Summer didn't have much free time to see Joanna. And during the times she was available, Joanna wasn't.

They spent a lot of that week communicating through texts and phone calls, but that wasn't enough for either of them. They both wanted to spend more time with each other than they could, thanks to their very inconvenient work schedules.

On Friday evening, Summer was determined to make concrete plans to see Joanna again before another busy week ensued. They were both free from Saturday to Monday, so Summer wanted to make the most of it.

Summer was up, sitting at the desk in her second bedroom, turned workspace, cleaning up from the three nail appointments she had that day. When her phone rang and Joanna's contact lit up on the screen, Summer took a break from unpacking and re-organizing the new acrylic powders she'd received in the mail earlier that day.

"Hey, Jo," Summer beamed when the FaceTime call connected.

"Hey," Joanna smiled. She was in bed and Summer could hear the faint noise of the TV playing quietly in the background. Her voice was soft and a bit deeper than normal. She sounded tired, like she was minutes away from falling asleep had she not called.

"How was your day?" Summer asked. "You sound tired."

"I am, but I wanted to call you before I fell asleep. We've barely talked today."

And there was no other reason why, other than they'd both been busy. Joanna had just gotten home from three days of flying back and forth from JFK to LAX. She'd eaten, taken a shower, and immediately got in bed. But before she fell asleep, she made a point to call Summer because she knew she'd still be awake.

"And... I miss you," Joanna added after a brief pause.

"You do?" Summer blushed.

"Of course."

After that admission, Summer just got straight to the point. "I miss you too. And I want to see you again. Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?"

"Is that too soon? I know you just got back from a trip, so we can choose another day."

"Tomorrow is perfect. But it's gotta be chill. I know we met in the club and all, but I'm actually a homebody."

"You think I don't know that?" Summer said with a smile. "But I like that about you because even though I like to go out and have fun sometimes, I'm a homebody at heart too."

"So, what did you have in mind then?"

"I haven't actually thought about it. I just know I want to see you."

"Do you want to just come over to my place? I can cook for you, and we can chill. Or we can go out to dinner. It's up to you."

Summer thought about it for a second before responding. Dinner would be nice because she'd get a chance to dress up and get cute, but she also realized she wasn't in the mood to do all of that. The thought of getting ready for a date sounds great until it's time to actually get dressed and do hair and makeup. A larger part of her wanted to be with Joanna with no one else around. The thought of Joanna preparing dinner for them reminded her of the morning Joanna had made them breakfast. It reminded her of how Joanna held her close and danced them around the kitchen as Joanna sang to her. And at that moment, that was all she wanted.