10. Beautiful Smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| BROWN SUGA BABE |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You've got to be kidding me," Summer laughed when they got back to her hotel room because it decided to start storming just minutes before they made it inside.

"I gotta admit, this ain't how I imagined I would get soaked today," Joanna whispered so quietly that Summer didn't hear her.

"Well, there goes our plans of going down to the beach," Summer turned to face Joanna. "I guess we can try and find something else to do instead?"

"Or we can stay in. Just, I don't know," Joanna shrugged, "chill out right here until it stops storming."

"And do what?"

"I'm sure we can find something to do."

"I'm not doing anything until I get out of these wet clothes though. You mind if I go take a quick shower?"

"Nah, I don't mind. This your room, you ain't gotta ask me to take a shower."

"You needa change out of those wet clothes too. I have something that might work for you until these dry a bit," Summer offered.

"Yeah, I'd appreciate that a lot actually," Joanna nodded her head because the feeling of soaking wet clothes was very uncomfortable against her skin.

Summer went over to her bags and retrieved a pair of biker shorts and a t-shirt for Joanna.

"They might be a bit big-"

"It's fine. Thank you," Joanna said as she accepted the clothes. "You mind if I take a shower after you're done?"

"Of course. And I'll be quick, don't worry." And with that, Summer disappeared into the bathroom.

Joanna wasn't sure what to do while Summer was in the bathroom, so she just went on her phone. She scrolled through her messages, finally opening up a particular text thread she's been ignoring since early that morning.

Jaquan J: Hey Jo. I know you just bailed me out not too long ago, but do you think I could crash at your place for a couple weeks until I'm back up on my feet again? I been good, but shit happened and I need a place to stay for a bit. I swear this is the last favor I'll ask of you. For real this time.

She hesitated to respond to the message at all, which is why it took her all day just to open it. But she did respond, and just like every other time Jaquan has come begging her for help, she caved. She couldn't not help him. Being the oldest of five kids makes Joanna feel like it's her responsibility to support her younger siblings no matter what. And because of that, she keeps helping Jaquan, no matter how many times he's screwed her over in the process.

'I won't be home for a few more days, but Lisa got a spare key to my place. I'll let her know you need it,' she quickly responded before she had the chance to change her mind and pretend she didn't see the message at all.

She then texted Lisa to tell her that Jaquan would be in contact with her and then locked her phone back. She didn't even bother asking her brother what had happened or why he suddenly needed a place to stay because it's always a combination of the same story each time. And because Joanna wasn't in the mood to be annoyed, she chose not to ask for a backstory this time. Because more than likely, Jaquan would just 'exaggerate' the truth anyway.

"Okay, I'm done," Summer walked out of the bathroom a little while later. She was still wrapped in a towel, her body was freshly moisturized, and her hair was now in two cornrows instead of the curly high puff she had it in before.