Chapter 22: Exams - The Storm to Come

Ruby always loved a good duel for many reasons. The awesome, majestic monsters, the ingenious tactics, the meeting of two duelists' souls as they clashed their spirits.

She had a sneaking suspicion that most of the crowd in the current arena was not looking forward to the upcoming match for similar sensible reasons.

"Coco! We love you!"

"Duel your heart out, supersonic sky queen!"

"She's a cheetah on the plains, she's a highway star…"

Well, 'sneaking' might have been an overstatement.

"Are they playing a theme song?" Ruby queried. "Wait, is that a thing top Beacon teams are supposed to have? Should I start writing a theme song?"

"I don't know," Pyrrha admitted. "I can put you in touch with some Heartland jingle writers if you want?"

"Thanks. But I'm pretty sure Weiss would complain if we had her family's 'competitor' write it," Ruby smiled, before cocking an eyebrow at the duelist awaiting Nora below as her admittedly rocking theme song filled the arena. "Though Yang might vote for whoever wrote hers."

A fitting thought given that Coco held herself with Yang's swagger with clothes that looked like they were bought with Weiss' money. Sleek black pants, an elegant yet functional brown sweater, an unbuttoned dark blue Obelisk uniform jacket draped over her with class, all topped with dark sunglasses and a scarf? Ruby maybe not have cared much for fashion like her sister did, but she'd learned enough from her sibling to know that the leader of Team CFVY looked good. With a bandolier of decks around her waist and her bulky purse slung over her shoulder, the second-year Obelisk Blue's easy confidence was infectious.

Faced with such an imposing crowd favorite of an opponent, Nora, of course, dashed out of the locker room and onto the duel field with her rugged Magnhild duel disk already deployed over her forearm.

Doctor Oobleck, the referee for the duel, nodded to Coco. The leader of Team CFVY raised her arm to the sky with an open palm… and then closed it into a fist.

Her adoring fans immediately went quiet, theme song included.

The Obelisk Blue fashionista swung her purse around her body, sticking out her arm as her accessory transformed into an exquisite black and gold duel disk. Finally, she dipped her sunglasses a fraction to get a good look at Nora.

"Hi! Nice to meet you! I'm Nora," the redheaded Ra Yellow introduced herself, a battle-hungry grin splitting her face. "I'll be the one kicking your butt today."

Coco stared at her for a long moment, only to break into a genial smile. She pushed her sunglasses back up. "I like your spirit, freshie. Give it your best shot. But don't think I'll be going easy on you."

Dr. Oobleck shot her a lightly scolding look. "Ms. Adel…"

"Within the parameters of the test. Don't worry, doc, I'm not gonna rain Extra Deck monsters on her," Coco reassured the professor, before turning her gaze back to Nora, her fingers grazing over her bandolier of deck boxes. "But, which deck I use is actually up to you, freshie."

Nora tilted her head in confusion. "You've got multiple decks?"

Coco shrugged, gesturing to her fashionable ensemble. "An outfit fitting for one situation can be a faux pas in another."