Ring Coated In Eyes' Rain

Summary:
Kaveh returns home after a project in Sumeru's desert, but what awaits him is not Alhaitham's embrace.

Except, it is a letter and a ring coated in eyes' rain.

Warning ⚠️:
Character Death

—————

The Light of Kshahrewar stepped through the winding concrete streets of Sumeru City. His pace was swift, elegant- as expected from the region's most renowned architect. Mehrak trailed behind him, desperately trying to catch up with its creator. The clinking of screws against each other, ruffling of documents, turning of heavy gears arose from within the suitcase as raindrops fell unto both human and machine. The lightning of the Electro Archon declared its awakening, bringing with it stronger winds.

In the corner of his eyes, through nearly unrecognizable by the rain which hit like a pin quickly stabbed into cloth, Kaveh saw it- the house he lived with a certain Grand Scribe. The architect sprinted towards the door he found himself nights in a drunken state leaning against. The very door he was greeted with when he had lost it all. It brought the familiarity of home. Kaveh was finally home.

Puddles of water splashed beneath his paving feet when he moved. He saw their shared house, but where were the lights? He knew the sun had just set. He knew it before the storm had formed. Alhaitham should be home; his duties ended in the evening, and the Scribe was not one to stay past his given work schedule. Had Alhaitham gone out? Had he fallen asleep? Did he have other matters to attend to at work?

Then the architect saw it. A tall figure whose shadow loomed over the doormat. Alhaitham? Why was he not inside? Had he lost the keys? If that Scribe did, they would be locked out! Who was it that told him to take both of their keys?! A groan took itself out of his throat and into the vast world of Teyvat. Mehrak beeped from behind in response. Kaveh, with frustration in each harsh step, walked onto the steps leading to their house.

It was not Alhaitham.

It was Matra.

Why were the Matra in front of his house? Where was Alhaitham? What had he done now? Countless of questions echoed through those empty halls of his mind. Where had Alhaitham gone?

"Are you Kaveh? The one who lived here with the Scribe?" the man said. Perhaps it was the light's trick for Kaveh saw a pint of pity in that gaze? And then it him. Lived? Did he get evicted for not paying this month's rent?! That Alhaitham-! Wait, but the Matra rarely dabbled in civil affairs. Just what was happening? The architect shot the man with a wry smile unstable enough to be compared to that of a rickety old wooden bridge.

"Correct. What do you need of me?" he answered.

Kaveh's eyes traced the man's hands as he pulled out a folded piece of paper out from his pockets. Was it a letter addressed to him? When did the Matra decide to become the equivalent of a pigeon carrier? "You will need to read this. By orders from the General Mahamatra." Cyno? Why did he need him to read whatever that was? Maybe Kaveh was not swift enough to take the letter as it was gently pushed into his arms. Rude. Mehrak probably agreed as it began to beep furiously beside him.

The architect huffed. It was not the time to pick a fight with an armed man. He was sleep deprived and desperately needed rest- with an additional kiss on the forehead by Alhaitham. Kaveh blushed at that sudden thought even if they've been together since years ago. The blond flipped open the paper for all the words engraved on it to lay bare. His eyes, as red as the blood that ran through him, moved through each word with caution:

"For Kaveh, the many possessions I own under my name, including that of my coat and Vision. My house and its contents are too his.

May he live a peaceful life."