14. hellfire wasp

Start from the beginning

It was an odd occurrence that they had to endure together.

"I see them!"

As soon as they stepped out of the jungle and onto the sandy ground, Kiri's voice caught their attention.

"Kati!" Tuk yelled, tightening her grip around Neteyam's neck as he carried her on his back.

"Brother!" Tsireya called Aonung as the group rushed toward Katiya and Aonung.

"Are you guys alright?" Rotxo asked.

"What happened to your hand?" Loak asked, noting the reddish-purple sting on Katiya's hand.

"Oh, I got stung by a hellfire wasp after we escaped the thanator," Katiya replied.

Tsireya gasped, placing her hand over her mouth, and touching Aonung's arm in concern.

"Were you okay, brother?" She asked, drawing attention to them.

"I'm fine. I'm not the one who was hurt," Aonung muttered, nodding his head.

Katiya furrowed her eyebrows in confusion as she watched him walk away from the group, leaving everyone confused.

"You should probably have Mom look at that," Neteyam suggested, drawing their attention back to him.

Katiya pulled her gaze away from Aonung and nodded at her brother.

"What's up with him?" Loak asked Tsireya.

She sighed as she lowered her head.

"Aonung does not do well with hellfire wasps. There was an incident a long time ago when he was young and it still haunts him to this day," she explained, her voice soft. "But it is not my story to tell, so I can not share much with you all. Come, let us head back to the village."

Katiya remained silent on the walk back with the gang as Tsireya's words lingered in her mind.

She had never expected to see Aonung in such a vulnerable state, especially in front of her. He had always been cold toward her and always fought with her for the stupidest reasons.

So, she couldn't help but wonder what had happened.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Several days passed and everyone seemed to have forgotten what had happened in the jungle.

Except for one person.

Perhaps it was because he never wanted anyone to see him with such vulnerability, especially her.

But out of everyone, why did he have to encounter a hellfire wasp with her? He was irked that she had seen him in that way.

In particular, he disliked the fact that she had kept silent about what had happened between them in the jungle. Especially since the sting on her hand, while healing, always reminded him of that day.

While part of him hoped that she would never ask him any questions, another part despised the fact that she didn't seem to care.

Regardless, perhaps he preferred it that way since he didn't know why it bothered him so much whether she cared or not.