FOURTEEN

Kenneth

"What wing did you get assigned for medications today?" I ask Edward, my curiosity getting the best of me.

It's become a daily routine to interrogate him about it. And, yes, Ido it to see if he's talked to Darren. God forbid I want to make sure he's doing alright.

The chilly October air hits my cheeks as I wait for an answer, turning them red and puffy. I wonder how many of the patients actually enjoy the time they get to be outside on Mondays. In a month or so, it'll be way too cold for this. What will they do then?

"I had Darren's wing," he replies. "I'm not sure who thought that was a great idea."

"He didn't try anything, right?"

"No.

"Thank goodness," I sigh in relief. "Did he seem alright? Sad?"

"I don't know, Ken," Edward dismisses.

He does that often, brushing off my questions about Darren. I hate it. He thinks that I'm better off worrying about myself. All I want to know is if he's doing well mentally. Then I'll stop.

"What was he like then?" I interrogate my friend.

"He seemed completely fine."

"Oh-" I half-smile. "Okay."

There have been moments where I've locked eyes with Darren in passing. I wanted to talk to him so bad every time, but I kept deciding against it. This was his idea. Not mine.

Does he still think about me as I do him? I know we need this time apart to keep our sanity at bay. Plus, it'll keep the staff off of our tracks. But my thoughts continue to miss him. How much longer will this last? Maybe he's over me already.

God, Kenneth, you are SO dramatic.

"Edward?"

"Yes?"

"Are the pills that the patients receive, please-bos?" I ask, remembering back to when Darren called them that.

I don't know why the idea came to me so suddenly, but I've been curious about the truth.

The doctor bursts into a fit of laughter. "You mean placebos?"

"Yeah, that..." I trail off, waiting for his response.

"Why would you wanna know?" Edward's tone goes from amused to intrigued.

"I don't know," I breathe out, a cloud of cold escapes. "I heard someone say it once."

Edward glances around the area, making sure no one else is eavesdropping. Darren said placebos are pills made out of sugar that make the consumer think they're being treated. Though, in reality, it does nothing for their health.

My coworker lowers his voice, saying, "You cannot tell a single soul about this, understand?"

"Y-Yeah," I nod. "I understand."

"The warden was talking to me some time ago about medications. At one point, the word 'placebo' slipped out of her mouth," he begins. "She tried to ignore it, but I caught on right away. Eventually, she revealed the truth, the pills here are fake. And, before Cathy left, she threatened me never to tell anyone, or else."

"Wow, that's just-" I try to collect my thoughts and emotions. "-wrong."

"It's fucked up, I know. But I do trust you, Ken."

"It's safe with me," I promise him.

He pats my shoulder, "Good."

Too engaged in conversation, I didn't notice Darren sitting on the bench, ten feet away, until now. As usual, he's smoking. Terrence talks his ear off.