Somewhere quiet...

Ships: Kotoya
Summary: Kohane and Toya share a quiet afternoon in SEKAI.

{ •♡• }

Kohane arrived in Street SEKAI to the sight of other light triangular pixels materializing at the same time in front of her. Soon enough she was looking at Toya's back.

"Aoyagi-kun?" He turned to her, eyes widening slightly as he hugged a medium sized plushie to his chest. She pulled her books to her chest in response. She had brought her Japanese homework with her to work on.

"A-Azusawa-san. Good afternoon, I hope I'm not too late."

She shook her head. "Mmn. I arrived just now too." On days like these, where the other two had work or club activities, Kohane and Toya would take their time, going home, changing, goofing off, wasting time so that they could all arrive together. Today, though, they had wasted all the time they could and still found their way here. Kohane shifted where she stood. It wasn't like she didn't like him, it was just, without the other two to facilitate conversation, they often spent whatever time in between their arrival and the extroverts' in pure, awkward silence. His catlike eyes searched her, scanning for any change in emotional state. It made her uncomfortable. However, she couldn't look away. It was like she was trapped by it.

Toya could easily tell how she was feeling through her face. Sometimes he could see things Akito, or even An couldn't, but he wrote it off as a lack of attentiveness. He really wished he could have the way of captivating others that she did to he, Akito, An, and everybody she sung for. Thinking this caused his mind to snap back at him. She was looking in his eyes, quivering like a scared animal. Trying not to make her cry with his tomfuckery (again), he gave an excuse for them not to look at one another anymore.

"Let's go to Crase cafe and wait for the others there," Toya suggested. It sounded like more of a demand to Kohane, so she nervously complied.

About a foot between them, Toya stared straight ahead while Kohane's confused eyes darted everywhere as she jogged to his pace. Suddenly a paper flew from her arms. Toya turned around as she made a surprised sound. Transfixed by the paper, she tripped and the rest of her books and herself tumbled to the ground. Toya rushed back to her side.

"Are you okay, Azusawa-san?" he asked, surprised. She sat up, pale hands pinning the papers she could reach in place and shakily gathering them. He held his hand to her, but she was frozen in embarrassment. Against her wishes, she felt small tears form. He glanced at a couple of the papers running away. Eyes flickering back to her, he left briefly to gather her stuff off the roads where no cars ever drove. Stacking everything neatly, down to the pencil and eraser, Toya picked up the books and looked at Azusawa, now standing. She mumbled a thanks and asked if it was a bother for him to hold the books. He said it wasn't and slowed his pace to stay near her. "Azusawa-san," he began casually. "What's the matter?"

His softer tone breaking through to her, she looked up at him. She could see the vague concern in his eyebrows. What did An say he was once, a 'kuudere'? Her brain was sure he didn't bite. She couldn't get this pressure off her heart, though, through the dates they'd had and their mutually supportive conversations.

"I don't really know, Aoyagi-kun. I never used to be this scared of you..."

"I beg to differ," he interrupted with a small snort.

"Eh?"

"You used to be really shy around me when VBS was first forming. Some of that can be attributed to the remnants of our rivalry, but this confirms something more in my eyes."

"What is it that you think you know?" she asked, partially curious and offended.

"Pardon me if I'm wrong, but it feels something similar to what I've felt before: wanting to impress someone, or even just seem a certain way to them, and then that leading to a high amount of fear of messing up around them."