Chapter Nine: The Eyes and Ears That We Hate.

The few lights in the room barely lit the bunker, the only main light was the static screen on the old tv. "Stupid TV doesn't get a signal down here." Tommy groaned as he fiddled with the electronic all over again.

Jimmy sat up on the worn-out black leather couch. It creaked and whined as he moved. He dropped the book on his chest as he looked over at the teenager who grumbled and gripped.

"Haven't you read that book like five times this week?" Tommy asked, raising an eyebrow as Jimmy closed the book fully and dropped it on the floor. "I could ask you the same question, we've watched the same two Disney movies everyday. Pretty sure I know every Cinderella song now by heart."

Tommy groaned. "That's why I've been trying to get the satellite to work, I'm desperate for some news about the world, because Tango and Scott refuse to tell us anything."

Jimmy bit his lip and slowly pulled himself off the couch, his back cracking as he stood. The teeanger grimiced. "You're an old man now."

He rolled his eyes and began to search in the same boxes that they had searched through many times. "Well, we have monopoly and a boombox. That's about all we have down here for entertainment."

Jimmy paused before turning on the boombox and fiddling with the knob listening to the static suddenly changed into words.

"And that's all for the news Recap, I'm Pixilrifts and we will see you tomorrow for all the news going on Boatem!" His voice suddenly flooded in with ads as Tommy walked over to the radio.

"I forgot the radio tells you the news," Jimmy mumbled to himself as he turned the station again to some random music and kept flipping through the station.

"Call in at xxx-xxx-xxxx in five minutes and you could win ten tickets to the Boatem Gala, hosted this year at the Gladiator Mansion!" The announcer's voice boomed through the speakers, his voice echoing into Jimmy's ears only the way the watchers could.

It was the inky voice that slithered and spoke into his dreams. The words only could be heard under the disguised announcement and prize.

Only watchers and those with the power could hear the secret meaning.

Third floor meeting thirty minutes after the gala starts don't be late. The voice whispered the words twisting around his mind like a coil ready to snap.

"We have to go to the gala" he snapped suddenly as Tommy fumbled backwards. "What? Woah, I know we've been hermits for like a month now but why do we have to go to a gala?"

"The watchers, they're hosting a meeting during the gala third floor, thirty minutes after it starts. I could hear the secret voice under it."

"You mean the sudden static that broke in right at the end of the statement?" Tommy asked interestedly as he raised an eyebrow. "Does this have to do with Martyn being something called a listener?"

Jimmy froze for a second, not expecting that. "Oh, did he tell you?"

Tommy shook his head. "Nope, I couldn't sleep and snuck down the stairs to get some water and heard Tango and Scott talking about it."

The ex-chief wasn't even surprised to hear the explanation as he sighed exasperatedly. "Yeah, I'm one as well, that's how I got that voice to quit speaking to you in your dreams."

Tommy blinked a few times and cocked his head to the side. "What, are you talking about?"

Jimmy shook his head, some relief washing over him.

Thank the void Tommy didn't remember. "Long story, you don't remember and that's a good sign, I don't know if it was a side effect of the corruption or if that's what it is supposed to do."