Chapter Three: Wings of Fate

This chapter focuses on Jimmy's childhood, Grian is trans in this fic so when talking about him as a child I will be using Grian's dead name for those parts as this is more of a flashback chapter.

As long as Jimmy could remember he was the odd child in the family.
Ariana and Pearl were the star children.
The twins.
Jimmy was the youngest sibling, he grew up with the same mentality. He was the weakest in the family.
Ariana was a star at anything in school.
Pearl was a master of anything arts and crafts.
Jimmy? Well, he's been average his entire life.

He had been seven when he realized that he was treated differently from his sisters.

The audience was filled with parents and students as Jimmy stood on the stage, his fingers tapping his leg as he tried to spell the word he was given.
Determination.
"D-E-T-E-R-M-I-N-N-A-T-I-O-N."
The announcer stopped and frowned just slightly as she stared at the trembling boy in front of her. "Unfortunately you are incorrect."
Jimmy quickly walked off the stage fighting back the sting of tears.
He tried to drown out the sound of his sister spelling the next word correctly, right after him.
The crowd seemed to part as he headed down the stairs into the open area towards his mother and sister, the two of them watching the stage as Ariana and some other kid began to go back in forth spelling longer words.
"You lost." His mother said stiffly not even looking at her youngest child. Her long brown hair was pulled into a perfect bun and her black dress fell to her knees.
"Sorry, mom." He whispered taking a seat next to Pearl who gave him a sympathetic look.
His mother's attention was rapped onto her daughter who stood in the middle of the stage, her glittery red dress catching all the lights and her wings flapping up in excitement causing the crowd to awe at the beauty.
"Ariana has won, but of course, I expect nothing less of her." His mother said smiling proudly at the avian on stage.
Pearl shuffled slightly, as she glanced back at her little brother. "You did well, Jimmy." She muttered as they approached the stage where Ariana stood holding the trophy.
"Ariana, I'm so proud of you! As a treat, we will be going to that diner that you love!"
Jimmy's stomach growled at the thought of the diner.
Ariana's eyes widened in surprise. "Can we invite Mumbo?" She asked bouncing on the tips of her toes.

His mother smiled sweetly. "Of course, we can invite him."
Ariana quickly rushed off to the taller black-haired male who was sitting in the audience cheering for his best friend.
Jimmy's attention flickered to the few kids who were crying after losing the spelling bee, his mom noticed as well.
"Oh dear, they do know that not everyone can win right?" Her voice sounded haughty, the proudness in her daughter could be heard from the tone.
Jimmy slunk into himself slightly.
She never used that tone of voice talking about him.

Only ever for Ariana and Pearl.

When he was eleven, it became more clear to him, only the girls in his family were treated like gods.

Jimmy sat at his table in class his paper blank as he stared at the math question in front of him. He could do it, after all, he had been studying for the whole week for the exam.
He took a deep breath and began.
The sound of pencils scratching the paper and shuffling in sets was all he could hear as he took the exam.
He had to pass this, math was the only class he didn't have an A in, and for once he'd be at the same level as his siblings.
He clutched onto the report card too afraid to open it.
His sisters happily handed it over to their mom who quickly handed them both 20 dollars. "All A's here you go, girls, that's your present!"
She turned to him and gently took the report card quickly glossing it over. "89 in math." She read out loud, making Jimmy's smile fade.
He was sure he aced that exam, but he was only one point away from having all A's
His mom clicked her tongue in disappointment as she handed him 10 dollars. "Well, it's better than a C I suppose."