16.

16 - the family

"What do you even wear to meet your high school boyfriend's parents?" I stress, searching through my closet violently

"I mean you've met them before."

"Only his dad! And you're not helping Jay!" I wail, ripping out a red sweater before flinging it into my discard pile. "Hold on, Teresa is on the other line."

"Do a skirt." Teresa suggests.

"The only skirts I like are my cargo and denim skirts! Hardly what I want to wear." I tell her before switching back to Jay.

"What did she suggest?"

"A skirt."

"No, do jeans." Jay contradicts her completely, leaving me further frustrated and confused.

"What? I'm not wearing jeans!"

"Heather! Edward's here!"

"Fuck!" I slam the phone back on the receiver. "I'll be down soon!"

I'm not even dressed, I'm still in my Huskies Basketball t-shirt and holey shorts. Not to mention my hair is all in a knot. Curse my alarm clock that didn't go off in time, and curse me for not figuring out what I'd wear yesterday.

"Heather!"

"Hold on!" Then I see her, my savior. The little blue dress I had gotten for a cousin's christening. I reach into the back of my closet and grab the black boots I had borrowed from Teresa but never returned before bounding into Mom's room and stealing her leather blazer. Forget makeup, I'll already have to do my hair in the car.

"Do you need help?" Mom calls up, as I dash around my room searching for my hairbrush. Then spotting myself in the mirror I decide yes to makeup, because I look like roadkill.

"Okay, I'm ready." I huff down the stairs, makeup bag and hairbrush wedged under one arm, purse on the other.

"You look nice." Edward smiles.

"Thanks." I'm shuffling to the door, squeezing around Mom, trying to get out and going.

"We have time-"

"No, it's fine I'll do my hair and makeup in the car." I shrug, trying to act like I wasn't just panicking like I do before a test.

"Well you two have fun. Tell Dr. Carlisle I said hi." Mom walks us out of the door. She'd spend the day doing laundry and watching sitcoms, refusing to leave the house on Sundays.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Can you drive any faster?" I ask, sarcasm seeping through my words as I carefully try to finish my makeup, using the mirror in the sun-blind.