Act V

"Ay-yai-yai..." Dazai muttered from your hiding place behind a plant.

"Quite the grudge." Kunikida noted, raising an eyebrow.

A small sense of curiosity filled you. After all.... "If your Detective Agency are such good people, how did they create a grudge like that?" Your question was met with silence, and a small, unnoticeable smirk from Dazai.

"The suspect has some complaint against the Agency. He wants to see the boss, or else he'll blow the place up. Yes, we do tend to attract enmity from a variety of sources" He had yet to answer your question, so you blankly stared at him. Something about this didn't feel right to you, "Ah, yes... Those are high explosives there. Enough to destroy the room, anyway. We could cover the bomb with something to dampen down the explosion... But not in this situation."

You observed the situation a little closer. Surely this man wouldn't be yelling into what he thinks is an empty room? It would be so much wiser to take the hostage and actually seek out the president.... Immediately, you felt your face pale. Slowly, you grabbed Kunikida, whispering in his ear, "this is a test, isn't it?"

Kunikida looks at Dazai, and the two nod to eachother. Even so, Atsushi has yet to notice, and the test goes on.

"Why don't we let him see the boss, then?"

Kunikida glares at Dazai, irritated by the stupid question, "Because he'll try to take his life, that's why! Besides, the boss is out of town!"

Both their faces hardened, and they extended their arms... Only to play rock-paper-scissors. After a few ties, Dazai won, and a smug grin played along his face. The bandaged man gestures for Kunikida to go.

The 'bomber' was instantly alarmed.

"YOU..."

Kunikida slowly began lifting his hands up. "Calm down, young man," he spoke calmly.

"STAY AWAY FROM ME! I'LL BLOW THIS PLACE SKY HIGH!" He raises the controller, "I know you. You're Kunikida! You've got one of those freakish 'skills', don't you?!"

The bombers face darkened, but sweat still dropped from his face.

"ANY FUNNY BUSINESS, AND I'LL TAKE ALL OF YOU WITH ME!"

From your place behind the plant, you watched, intrigued, as Dazai convinced Atsushi to go and do something about the 'bomber'.

"Hey! Uh, uh... Can you knock that off, maybe?! Your parents are crying right now!"

The man's hand twitched, his anger growing.
But you knew it wasn't anger. Your brother's ability told you so much. Yes, the ability he offered you, so that you could kill. The ability to sense emotions, and increase or decrease them with a touch. That's how he explained it to you, when he forced you to copy it with your own ability.

Your train of thought was cut off by the bomber yelling again, "WHO THE HELL ARE YOU!?"

Atsushi began stuttering nervously, "I... I... I'm just a passerby who saw what you were d- doing! There's, yh, so much to live for!"

The bomber stood up, his thumb over the button.

"I don't know who you are, but quit giving me that crap! I just need all of you to die, okay?!"

The boy's face twisted again, "L- look at me! I'm an orphan with no family or friends. I was kicked out of my last orphanage! I have nowhere to go - no one to turn to! Apparently, I transform into a vicious beast too. The military police would hang me if they found out! I have no skills or abilities... As far as society's concerned, I'm just a piece of garbage!"

The bomber face twisted, it was clear how awkward he felt. He didn't sign up to be Atsushi's therapist, now, did he? But regardless, the boy continued on yelling at him, "So don't fall into despair! You need to keep living! So... S-s-s- so, um... Even worms have a drive to keep on living!" This bomber replied with a nervous "y- yeah..?" as he stepped away.

"Okay? So just drop the bomb... And let's go look for work together."

"Huh? N- no, um... I'm, uh, I'm not really too," the bomber began stuttering nervously.

Kunikida stood up, "I'm going to use a page from my notebook... And I'd hate for it to be in vain.." he scratches the pen against the notebook paper, and a wire gun appeared in his hands. The controller is sent spiralling away from the bomber, and into your grasp. Now, Kunikida has the man restrained.

Suddenly, a hand reaches out and pushed Atsushi over. He fell, his hand hitting the button.

The bomb had five more seconds before it went off.