Act XI

You stared in awe at Atsushi's unconscious body on the infirmary bed.

He was all you could think about. He was so full of life. He was a free bird. But you, you were caged by the shadow of your brother. You, you were trapped with his ability. You who so desperately wished you could crawl back into your brother's arms, back into the cage.

Atsushi could do anything. He had Dazai believing in him. He had the whole ADA believing in him. And you... You still had to prove yourself. What was intelligence if you would be a second Kunikida, temper worn down by the careless antics of those with far too little to worry about?

You were a plant in a storm. Either you could adapt, or you would wither.

A voice brought you out of your thoughts... "Where am I?" It asked. He asked. Atsushi asked. Kunikida took over conversation, and you chose to leave. Leave, like a coward.

"Oh come here, you big scaredy cat. Got caught in a fight, again?"  The older man chuckled, "How disgraceful."

You shook your head, staring at your surroundings. The empty streets of Oryol. Empty as can be. Red as can be. Red..? You looked down at the bodies.  Coughing blood from the mouth.

"My little hummingbird. Sing me a song, won't you?" His hand rubbed your back steadily. On queue, tears welled up in your eyes as slight sobs escaped you.

You fell to the floor. "Doctor Yosano, my apologies." The words left your mouth as if on autopilot. As you walked out, you caught a glimpse of Atsushi walking out. Against your will, your legs carried you to him.

"Nakajima?"
"Turgenev."

Immediately, your hand reached out to grab his, ignoring the retreating Kunikida.

"Nakajima, where are you going?" The words left your throat without time to think. He only gave a smile, and left. And left.

As if on command, your head lowered. Lowered as to how your bright light was going away for good. Time seemed so much slower. You hadn't even realised how badly you got attached in a mere day or two.

And all you could do about his early leaving was to sit on the ADA couch and think everything through...

When the door was suddenly bust open.

It was some mafia group, based on their outfits. You sighed. All it took was a punch to light a spark of fear. Then, you used your brother's ability to multiply that fear until the first were on the ground shaking. The second began fearing you from witnessing that, and it wasn't difficult to immobilise a large group of them.

Out of boredom, you stacked the bodies up and sat on them. Then, you saw Atsushi walk in. It was as if an angel descended.

Slowly but surely, you and Kenji managed to defenestrate them. You had to ignore the cracking sounds the first ones made. The second lot didn't do that, and you thought they probably landed on the first.

A whiny, childish voice hurt your ears. "Kunikidaaa! I need to head off to my 'master detective' job."
Kunikida raised an eyebrow, "Master detective? Ah. Assisting with that murder case?"

"Indeed!" The boy exclaimed. His entire personality made you raise an eyebrow and silently wonder how the ADA got away with employing what seemed to be a nine year old. "The police, you see.." he jumped onto the table, "require the help of the master detective with possession of the world's greatest ability."

His flashy show got shot down when Kunikida sent Atsushi to go with him. The older man placed a hand on Atsushi's shoulder, "Hey. Don't just stand there. We have a mountain of work to do. Go find Dazai for me too. He's adrift in the river again, no doubt."

You zoned out and began cleaning. Until you were picked up by the 'nine year old in a detective hat'. Which you later realised was an adult man...

Regardless, you soon arrived at a beach.

A tall, scruffy man with balding hair scowled. "You're late, detective!"

"Hm? Who are you? Where's Yasui?" Ranpo replied, while you and Atsushi stood awkwardly beside him.

The scruffy old man huffed, "I'm Minoura. I took over from Yasui. Our department is handing this case. We don't need you or your agency."

"Oh rubbish! A master detective like myself is always in need for difficult cases like these!" You were almost tempted to wipe that goofy expression off of his face. But you couldn't do so, not in front of your sun.