Act IX

Soon enough, you, Junichiro, Naomi and Atsushi had gone with the client. You found yourself in a narrow alleyway, all alone.

'It reeks of death...' a part of you felt a twinge of guilt, but you quickly forced it down, 'But brother told me to never show pity.'

Curiously enough, Junichiro also noticed something was wrong.
"Is this really the place? Uhm- Ms Higuchi, if outlaws back out of something, they usually prepare an escape route, but if this was the place, look- if they came from over there, there would be no way out."

In the corner of your eye, you noticed Higuchi tying up her hair. With a smirk, she answered, "that's right. My targets..." She put her phone to her ear, "...are you guys..!"

"Akutagawa? I've captured them as planned. We can now dispose of them."

Faintly, that name resonated within you. It was that of the boy Kunikida had warned you about. Yet, you had no time to dwell on it, for Higuchi pulled out a gun, aimed at you and your colleagues.

The bullets fired at Junichiro, but before they could hit him... Naomi came in front of him, and blocked them. Holes covered her back and arms, as a red liquid dripped from her mouth.

Gently, you took the unconscious girl from her panicking brother, ripping pieces of cloth from your attire to wrap around her wounds.

When you were busy, Higuchi aimed her gun at Junichiro again. "I have looked into you. You are a key combat personnel," she stated, "Why don't you join your lively little sister?"

But before she could pull the trigger, snow began pouring down. Junichiro had activated his ability. Immediately, you grabbed the unconscious girl and Atsushi, and pulled then both inside, taking shelter.

"(Y/N)? What's going to happen to Tanizaki..?!" The young boy looked at you in horror. You put a hand to his head, and channeled your brother's ability. Slowly, you watched the panic drain out of his face. It'll be okay, we'll know when it's safe.

Suddenly, a gut feeling of fear entered your body. You pulled both of them outside again. Just to be greeted with Akutagawa.

"You fear death. You fear killing. Those who yearn for death... Are also yearned for... By death. Therefore," he interrupted himself when he broke out coughing, "it is a pleasure to meet you. I am Akutagawa. Like the young lady over there, I am a lowly guard dog of the Port Mafia"

"Akutagawa. Please do not belittle yourself... I can handle this on my..."

Higuchi was cut off by a slap to her face, the force sending her glasses flying. A ghost of a smile danced along your lips. Although Akutagawa's haircut was strange, it framed his visage well. It looked incredibly matted, though, and that filled you with disappointment. Even so, he was bold, and you couldn't help feeling something towards him.
Yet you couldn't tell what it was. Ivan had always used his ability to drain your emotions before they had a chance to form properly, claiming it was for your own good. As a result, you barely knew what emotion was.

You let out a small gasp, bringing yourself back to reality and away from your thoughts.

"Your order is to capture the man-tiger alive. What if you shot him by mistake?" Akutagawa began speaking, "useless imbecile."

Atsushi was clearly sweating, as he spoke nervously, "man-tiger..? Capture alive..? Who are you people..?"

Akutagawa merely stared at him through dead eyes. Despite his obvious hatred, he still graced the two of you with a response. "Our target has always been you alone, man-tiger."