Bonus Chapter: Murphy's Law

One thing that Mila missed about her Earth was the ultra heat treatment milk, which guarantees 99% safe milk to its consumer. Here in Middle Earth, milk go bad quicker, whether from bad handling or unsanitary container. Either way, Mila threw up second thing in the morning after a few gulps of dank milk, and the icky feeling carried out throughout the day.

Thankfully, Glorfindel was up earlier than she and must had already been in the House of Rivendell to meet with King Thranduil so he didn't have to see her puking her guts out. Granted, he was no longer the Captain of The Guard, yet his reputation still carried weight for so many people, even to one as important as the King of Smirkwood. Mila sighed remembering that Glorfindel would have to leave tomorrow at first light with the party of Greenwood elves to attend a council in Dale.

Ever since his travel to Fangorn Forest about six or seven years ago when they were still harboring secrets about their feelings for each other, Glorfindel had never left her once. Mila had seen the interest in his eyes to see Greenwood again when King Thranduil asked him to join his party. Mila remembered their following conversation that night in the safety of their home.

"I'm not going."

"Why? I know you miss going out there."

"I do. But then I'll miss you even more."

"You can always ask someone to watch over me, if I am what you're worrying about," Mila replied knowingly.

"Or," Glorfindel pulled Mila to sit on his lap, his boyish smile dazzling the woman, "You can come with me."

For some reason unknown to her at the time, Mila didn't feel like going. "I have work to be done here. Besides, I think you'll do better not having to worry about me endlessly on the road."

"Are you really sending me away?"

"Pfft. Don't make it sound so bad. You know you want to go," teased Mila, running the tips of her fingers on the outline of his handsome face, "You've stuck with me all these years. You gave up a lot for me. Your captaincy-"

"-Don't do that, Mila," Glorfindel gently admonished her, "I do it out of my own desire. I gain something a lot more valuable in return. I got you, and that I would never trade with anything else in Arda."

Mila pressed her forehead to Glorfindel, murmuring her thank you. "But being amongst warriors is your thing," She pointed out, "It's a part of you. I won't deny you this pleasure."

"The travel to Dale and Greenwood will take months."

"And you will send me letters, right?"

"I will write everyday," he promised, sealing it with a feverish kiss on the lips.

Mila had come to regret her decision to let him go then. Talk about bad timing. But then when she saw the excitement of the upcoming journey on Glorfindel's expression when he conversed with Lord Elrond and King Thranduil, Mila couldn't have it in her heart to ask him to stay.

So here she was, swallowing the bitter pill of regret and confliction. He would be gone for months, and her bed would definitely feel empty, cold and too big without him next to her. But Glorfindel could really use some quality me time for himself.

Her spirits were lifted when Liniel and Arassëa showed up at her home with a beam on their beautiful elven faces. It reminded her that they just got a huge bread rolls order from the House of Rivendell for tonight festivities. Mila greeted the two ellith who had been partnering with her bakery business for the last five years. The three of them bonded together over their love for the art of making breads and sweets.