CHAPTER 1

3rd Person's POV
(Y/N) sighed as she gathered her things after work. She worked in a medical field, hoping to one day become the doctor she admired. It was a long and tiring process, no wonder most people drop out after college or decide not to go to college at all. Why medicine? You may ask, well the answer was simple, she was following her mother's footsteps. Her mother, (Y/M/N) was her hero, her idol. She loved her to death, it was never her mother's intentions to get pregnant with her but she kept the baby while pursuing her dreams. (Y/N) thought she had only come to slow her mother down but (Y/M/N) constantly reminded her that she was a blessing and her comfort. (Y/N) smiled as she thought of her mother, deciding to stop at their local coffee shop on the way home.

The smell of freshly baked pastries greeted her, she exhaled in content, the environment here was her favourite. Approaching the cashier, she was greeted by the sight of her good friend, Nicholas. Herself and Nicholas when to the same college but unfortunately, he couldn't continue due to financial issues. However, he supported (Y/N) with every decision she made and was happy to see her succeed.
"Hi bestfriend! The usual?" His ever-cheerful voice rang in her ears. Come to think of it, there was not one day where she had ever seen him out of his cherry mood, it was weird. No one can constantly be that happy, right?
"Hi Nick, you know me so well" she replied. He got to work, brewing her coffee.
"How's school going?" He asked, making small talk
"Hectic, but I'm getting used to it." She replied.
"You're brave to choose Medicine, I could never. Imagine having to look at the insides of someone, gross!" He shuddered, and gave her the order. Ah! Black coffee with a side chocolate muffin, perfect.

(Y/N) giggled at his reaction, "it's not so bad, you'll get used to it after throwing up a couple of times."
"False but whatever you say. My shift has just ended, thank God!"
"It's never really too busy here, is it?"
"No, not really. There was a time we had a lot of people at the same time. I nearly quit" he huffed. She chuckled, taking a sip of her coffee. Nicholas was always the dramatic friend while she was more laid back and calm, the most iconic duo. The pair made conversation till (Y/N) was done, making sure to tip him, she waved goodbye and left the shop as he closed up. After walking for a bit, (Y/N) felt an eerie presence, spinning around to see no one. It wasn't that late, only 7 p.m. and there were still people out so she shrugged off the feeling but hurried home.

Opening the front door of her house, her smile fell when she saw Steve, her stepfather, sprawled lazily on the couch. He turned when he heard the door, "about time you got home, kiddo" he spoke
"Where's mom?"
"Your mother isn't home yet, how about you do us both a favor and make me some dinner. I told that mother of yours to have some ready for me by the time I get home" he ordered. The nerve of this man!
"Get home? You don't ever leave this couch, where the hell could you be coming from?" (Y/N) snapped.
"How dare you say that?! You will respect me as the man of this house!" He growled.
"Respect is earned, when you earn it then I'll give it to you" she shot, going upstairs.
"You brat! Get down here!" He yelled, the slamming of the upstairs door was all he received. (Y/N) slumped against the door, she was tired. She wished she could give her mother the life she wanted, it hurt that she had to put up with such a lazy, good-for-nothing man like Steve. The reason behind their marriage is something that puzzled her up to this day. She understood that her real father passed away when she was young but why did mom have to marry such a fool? She sighed and stood up, going to the bathroom to freshen up. She sat on her bed in a fresh change of clothes, staring at the ceiling then she remembered something, her guitar! Yes, she owned a guitar, her mother gave it to her two years ago