Chapter Three: The Mating Dance

Start from the beginning

King Bodric clapped, "Wonderful!"

His false excitement made the hairs on Kincaid's neck raise.

"I am so very excited to meet your new lover."

Kincaid's stomach dropped.

Excited?

He was anything but.

Reid yawned as he trudged along the sidewalk, heading to work. Curse Gres for scheduling him for the morning shift so last minute. He even closed last night too! But he wouldn't complain. In a way, Gres was doing him a favor. He had to save up as much as he could since he lost his mother's medicine and had to buy more before she ran out, which would be very soon.

When he realized his error, he even risked going back to retrace his steps but he found no trace of his mother's medicine, nor his suppressants. No doubt the Naerian had stolen them. For what purpose? Reid didn't know. They weren't traceable back to him. He hoped the suppressants weren't traceable to Dania either.

Reid sighed.

His Rut was coming soon and he had no way of combating the effects. He would be powerless against it. He didn't want to take off from work, but it seemed he had to.

Gres would probably be surprised. He had to know Reid was suppressing his Rut, seeing as he hadn't taken a week off like the other redrya did once a month. But the Naerian didn't care, as long as he had workers. Yet another reason why Reid stuck with him despite the horrible treatment.

He'd have to take on a couple more double shifts to make up for the shifts lost. He couldn't afford to slack. His life and his mother's life depended on him.

Reid turned the corner, heading for the back entrance of the station when he noticed a figure standing by the door. Impossibly tall and covered in an expensive black cloak. Had to be Naerian. No way a human would be dressed like that.

And somehow the figure seemed familiar.

Reid froze a few yards away, cautious. Every hair raised on his arms and the back of his neck, warning him away from the stranger, but they were blocking the only employee entrance. And there was no way to access the locker room from the front. He had no choice but to go in this way.

But he was afraid. Afraid of this strange figure that seemed to be waiting for someone.

Reid took a deep breath before rushing forward, hoping to slip by the stranger without a problem. But of course there was always a problem when it came to Naerians. The male grabbed his arm, halting his mad dash inside. Reid's stomach twisted.

He didn't need to look up to know. He could tell by their intoxicating scent. It was the same male he bumped into before.

Damn it, he should've known they were going to find him.

"Excuse me, sfiad, I need to get to work," Reid murmured quietly, trying to slip out of the Naerian's grasp but they only held him tighter. Reid's heart was beating so fast, he could hear his pulse blaring in his eardrums.

"Reid Hudson," the Naerian spoke in his thick accent and it nearly sent Reid into a Rut right then and there.

Reid released a shuddering breath before daring to raise his gaze.

Big mistake.

The male was gorgeous. Unlike any being Reid had ever laid eyes on before. Though his face had a shadow cast over it from the large hood he wore, Reid could still see those glowing yellow eyes, elegantly slanted with slitted pupils. His nose was straight and long while his full lips–with a pronounced cupid's bow–curved seductively despite the lack of expression. His morá were beautiful swirls and curves pointed in the center of his forehead, branching out above the brow, curling around his temples before disappearing into his hairline. They pulsated bright neon colors full of oranges, purples, blues, reds, and so many more. Black hair slipped forward from his hood as he tilted his head to get a better look at Reid.