Chapter 17

Zoey p.o.v

It had been a week since I demanded space from Marco, but I couldn't seem to get him out of my head and mind. I'm constantly thinking about him one way or the other.

His arrival back in my life has created such a huge impact on me that I can't seem to forget him. And I've tried hard to forget, not as if I wasn't trying, but all my attempts were to no avail.

But I am determined to forget him no matter what it takes.

So here I am in the store, shopping for groceries to make myself busy. I've been doing a lot of house chores to get my mind busy. That way, I get to stop thinking of him for a while.

As you can tell, I am officially jobless. It's the first time I've been jobless since high school, and it is taking a toll on me. Job hunting is hard. I've been searching around for one but I haven't been successful till date.

I don't know how long we can survive with just mom's income.

"Zoey?" A voice called, breaking me out of my internal ranting. It's a young and handsome boy around my age or a few years younger.

He's stylishly dressed in a typical bad boy way, but I think that's all a facade. He's innocent and naive. That much I can tell from how nervous he looked, his hands were trembling and his eyes darted around, his bottom lip was stuck between his teeth.

And he looked oddly familiar, but I was sure I hadn't seen him before.

"Yes?" I replied, his gaze quickly snapped at mine. He stared at me for a while, there was something in his eyes. Some sort of emotion but I can't quite put my finger on it.

"How can I help......" I didn't get to finish the sentence as he turned on his heel and walked away. I kept staring after his retreating back with a wide mouth, and surprised.

"That was weird?" I whispered to myself, still watching him until he went out of sight.

If this isn't a strange and funny encounter, then I don't know what it is. I shrugged my shoulders and continued with my business.

I came out of the store with two big bags filled with food items, I stood in front of the store waiting for a taxi. No, what actually made me stop on my track is not just waiting for a cab, or the five-star restaurant that is across the street.

It was the person that came out of their expensive car. Marco, he went inside the diner, and not alone. Some blonde-haired bimbo was dangling in his arms.

As if he knew I was watching him, he snapped his gaze in my direction. We stared at each other for a few seconds, he was quick to break our stare and went in with the bimbo.

I gaped at him, he had already moved on? So much for wanting me back, he came back and brought back the feelings I tried so hard to conceal, only for him to leave again.

I was the one that told him to leave me alone. At least one of us has moved on. I blinked back the tears that brimmed in my eyes.

"it's not worth it." I tried convincing myself inwardly.

"A penny for your thoughts?" A manly voice broke me out of my trail of thoughts. I looked over the rim of my glance when an unfamiliar man approached me.

He was smiling faintly and stopped a few feet away from me. I looked around to make sure he was talking to me, but it was just me there.

"Trying to get a cab," I said vaguely.

"That's going to be hard." He nodded, looking around. I did a double take around the place and, true to his words, it was really going to be hard.

"Yeah." I nodded in agreement.

"I can drop you off." He offers.

"Oh no, that's not necessary. I can find my own way home." I declined politely.

"Ah! You wound me."  He forged a hurt expression. I don't mean to smile, but he got the better of me, but I quickly hid it by looking away.

"What's the name of this beautiful face?" He grinned, stretching his hand out for a handshake.

"Zoey." I shook his hands, he didn't let go immediately. Instead, he brought his lips down and placed a soft kiss on the back of my hand.

"What a beautiful name for a beautiful lady." He complimented.

He's flirting with me.

He's handsome, no doubt, with curly sandy brown hair and honey brown eyes. He's pretty but he isn't my type of guy.

Before we could say anything further, one of Marco's bodyguards crossed the road and made his way towards us.

He's got tattoos all over his body like a colouring book for kids, and if that isn't enough to scare most people away. His cold and dead expression usually does the trick.

I visibly tensed when he got close. What now? He has moved on but he has a problem with me doing the same.

"Oh boy!" He commented as he stared at the bodyguard. "Do you know him?" He asked. I shrugged in reply, not knowing what to say.

"Scram." Was the first word that left his mouth when he stopped before us.

"Excuse me?" My handsome stranger raised a questioning brow at the bodyguard.

"I do not repeat myself," the grumpy bodyguard said, face as strong as a rock.

"Please leave." I pleaded with him. He silently stared at us for a while before he nodded and turned on his heels.

"What?" I snapped at the colourful guy.

"Don instructed me to take you home." He dipped his head down, not meeting my eyes. I rolled my eyes in annoyance.

So now he's playing the caring guy card? Too bad that I'm not interested.

"That's not necessary, tell him I can take care of myself."

"I'm sorry, but Don's instructions to make sure you can get home safely." He stood his ground. I saw the airpod in his ear, which made me become aware that Marco was listening to our conversation.

I decided to ignore him. If he wants to know about me, he should come to me directly.

I didn't have to wait for long, a cab came around. I hailed the cab driver to stop and he did, but only it was not an actual cab driver. Rather, it was one of Marco's men who was disguised as a cab driver.

It's easy to tell by the way he gave a silent nod to the one besides me, and how the colourful guard didn't protest against the supposed taxi driver.

I entered the car because I wanted to get out of here as soon as possible, before I died of jealousy.

Please don't forget to vote and comment.

Amirablessing 🌹🌹🌹