Chapter 16

Zoey p.o.v

I woke up this morning feeling energetic. I couldn't sleep all night. I was anxious and restless thinking if Marco would find out my plan to leave.

Or if his mother had told him. As much as I'd love to stay here with him, and reconcile our past. I have my dignity to keep intact, I won't allow myself to be a push over. I've had enough of that during my teen days, but now I am an adult and I should be responsible for my actions.

It is around nine in the morning, Marco must have gone to the office by now. So I'm just waiting for Aunt Ava. I am ready to go. Dress in my clothes, the ones I wore when I was forcefully brought here.

A knock came on the door.

"Zoey, are you there?" Aunt Ava's voice sounded from the other side.

"Yes, coming," I yelled back, picking up my bag and making my way to the door.

"Good morning ma." I greeted her the moment we came face to face.

"Good morning dear, how was your night?" She replied with her contagious smile.

"It was good." I nodded at her, smiling. She cupped my face in her hands.

"Are you ready to leave now? Why don't you have breakfast first," She suggested. I would love to but, no can do it.

"No, I'm fine." I politely declined.

"Are you sure?" She insisted, but I nodded.

"Okay, if you say so." We were quiet for a while as we made our way down the stairs. "You know, you can leave by yourself, right?" She broke the silence.

I shook my head in denial.

"If I could, I wouldn't have bothered you. I tried leaving yesterday but his guards won't let me." I informed her, and she wasn't surprised.

As I said earlier, she had a similar situation as mine in her younger days. So I assume she has been in this kind of situation before.

"fair enough." She nodded. "You don't have to worry, I didn't tell anyone about this." She reassured me while I nodded thanks to her.

I avoid getting attached to these people because I might have to distance myself from them later on. We reached the front door, I opened it and she stepped out first, while I followed behind.

Immediately, the guards saw us, or me in particular. They blocked our way, standing as a blockage in front of us and denying us to make any more steps.

Oh really? I thought with his mom, it would be different. Am I a prisoner here? I'm not going to tolerate such absurdity and allow anyone to treat me otherwise.

"You do not want to get on my dark side, do you?" She fumed.

"But...."

"Step down." She interrupted the guy who was trying to explain themselves. Her entire demeanor had changed to a new level. The dark side she tries to hide under her lovely smiles, kicks in.

"Yes, Donna." The guards immediately stepped aside with their heads bowed. She turned to me smiling warmly, her sweet and lovely self was back on.

"Let's go." She held my hand and dragged me along. There's a car that I assumed was always on standby in front of the house. She entered before I did and the car broke into the driveway.