Chapter One

Inky Black Revenge:

Metamorphosis

-Book One.

"My life, just like that of a butterfly's, was fated to transform in ways Icouldn't even fathom." 

Copyright © Amanda DeShane 2020.

All Rights Reserved.

Nopart of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means,electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or any informationstorage or retrieval system without written permission from the Author.

The wind blew coarse dirt and tumbleweeds across the desert expanse as the sun unapologetically beat down. Russet red, sandy brown, and golden yellow colors painted the landscape of the cliff outcrops that dotted the large canyon.

"Where the fuck is my money, Kenny? Don't fuckin' mess with me! You better have the money or the drugs for me," yelled Julian.

He held Kenny by the throat against his beat-up green car. His heavy silver chains clinking with his every move as he punched Kenny repeatedly.

"I don't know. It was in the compartment in the car, I swear I put it there last week. I picked up the girl like I was told to, though. She's valuable, right?" pleaded Kenny as he looked towards Kanyra who shook in fear in the passenger's front seat.

Long brown hair framed my petite tan face as my deep ice-blue eyes stared back at him angrily. The man was a coward, trying to throw anyone, other than himself, under the proverbial bus.

Julian pulled out a gun and held it to Kenny's head as he growled furiously, "You're lucky that he didn't order your death yet. Girl, get your ass out here now."

I took a moment to gather myself, then bravely opened the front passenger door and walked forward towards him with palms up. The man that the guy had referred to must have been regarding the main drug lord I was after. What the heck had I gotten myself into? I thought as I nervously slid my sweaty palms down my green cargo shorts. It seemed switching places with Tara, to try to save her life, had been one of many brave, yet stupid things I have ever done in my life. Now, how the heck do I get myself out of this fucked up mess? I thought desperately.

"Come closer! Hurry up and get your ass over here," ordered Julian as he motioned with the gun towards where he stood near the edge of the cliff.

Every instinct inside screamed for me to run. But whatever had been in the water they had given me earlier was kicking in. I felt drugged and my body was slow to listen to me as I mentally commanded it to move forward. Stumbling forward on rubber legs, I kept my long brown hair shielding my face as much as I could. Julian reached down and roughly grabbed my chin hard enough to bruise. Then forced my face up to look at him.

Surprise crossed his face.

"You're not Tara. Who the fuck are you? Where is my fuckin' money bitch?" yelled Julian, beyond pissed off now as he grabbed me by the throat.

I sputtered as his rough hold cut my oxygen off. Shit, what the hell had Tara done to piss this guy and his lackeys off? My mind whirled frantically. My guess was that Tara had taken the money and ran. Maybe she needed the money since she was pregnant with the drug boss's child. To tie up loose ends she had played the victim, asking for my help, saying these guys would kill her. And that brought me full circle around to this point. Why was it me being set up to take the fall? Was she even truly pregnant? I wondered as I fought, grasping his hands that were cutting off my air supply. Desperately I dragged my nails down his hands, then resulted in hitting his arms relentlessly. It did no good, though; the drugs had made me weak. All the self-defense classes in the world had not prepared me for this situation.