Part. 5 Library of nightmares

(I didn't notice something until just now about this cover art....that out of context, they look like they've never seen books before and they're in just complete AWE.)

The night went quickly as we slept peacefully amongst the soft grass. The sudden presence of the morning dew in the grass woke Ruv up. Sitting up, he rubbed his eye and stretched. He listened to the morning silence of the forest. When the night bugs go to rest and the birds awaken. That split moment where everything, (aside from the rogue toad) is calm and quiet.
Exactly the way Ruv wanted it. He sighed and took in the fresh air. All his previous stress seemed to melt away.

Looking over at Whitty, he jumped slightly and took a double glance.
He couldn't believe what he was seeing........ He knew he shouldn't judge.....but he just couldn't help it.....

Whitty......was sucking his thumb.

Still fast asleep. Ruv lightly snickered at him.
"And to THINK I was scared of THIS."
Ruv thought in his mind. He's just a big softie. With a horrific side, mind you.....but really, this was who he was.
Ruv wouldn't change it for the world.

Whitty suddenly stretched and sat up.....still with his thumb in his mouth......he noticed he was doing so......he looked over at Ruv and realized he was staring......

Ruv gasped and turned away.....even though he was obviously caught.

Whitty - Oh, damn. You found out.....
PLEASE don't tell anyone......

Ruv - Um....I....w.. won't.....

Whitty - Heh....just.... nevermind what just happened. Let's not let our day start off this way. Let's get going!

They stood up and stared in the next direction they would be treckking for the rest of the day. Whitty, with a spring in his step, started forward.

Whitty - Alright, let's go!

Ruv - Wait, what about like..... breakfast?....

Whitty - Oh.....OH! HEY, I know!

Whitty reached into his hoodie pockets and pulled out two large pears.

Ruv - Where did you....

Whitty - I stored some stash for later. Here!

He tossed Ruv the pear and they begun on their merry way.

Later in the morning, the boys came to a clearing. Ruv stopped dead in his tracks.

Whitty - Ruv?....What are you doing? Come on!

Ruv - N..no.... something isn't right....

Whitty - Scared of BEARS!?!? Haha.

Ruv - No.... it's not an animal.....it's...more of a.... feeling.....

Whitty - Huh? Nonsense, let's go-

Ruv - SHHHH

Whitty paused and listened. No birds sang. No wind rustled the grass and trees. No animals in the distance. Pure. Dead. Silence.

Ruv - We need to keep going as fast and as quietly as we can.....

Whitty - What....BUT YOU JUST SAID-MMMPH

Ruv slammed a hand over his mouth.

Ruv - SHUT UP. COME ON.

Whitty followed Ruv as he took off.

Whitty - RUV! WHAT ARE YOU DOING.... WHAT'S GOING ON!?!?

Ruv - I'VE HEARD THAT SOUND BEFORE. WE HAVE TO KEEP GOING!

Whitty - WHAT SOUND!?!?!?!?

Ruv - DON'T YOU HEAR THAT HIGH PITCHED WHITE NOISE SCREECHING!?!? THE TYPE THAT FILLS YOUR EARS WITH THE SOUNDS OF A MILLION CHALKBOARDS THAT OVER AND OVER.....JUST KEEP CREAKING AND SCRATCHING OVER AND OVER..... NONSTOP FOR ETERNITY......
UNTIL YOU COLLAPSE....AND IT CATCHES YOU......DAMNING YOUR SOUL FOR THE REST OF TIME IN A PURGATORY OF PURE HELL!!!!!