Chapter 2: Ups and Downs / des Hauts et des Bas

The twins:

---

Chapter 2:

Ups and Downs / des Hauts et des Bas

The carriage glides through the air, buffeted gently by the wind. Alphonse and I sit side by side, gazing out at the rolling clouds below. The minutes tick by in silence as we say our quiet goodbyes to our past life in France.

My hand rests comfortably on Alphonse's lap, our fingers entwined. Al traces small circles on my skin in a comforting gesture. The gentle swaying of the carriage is lulling me into a new state of calm I haven't felt since the incident at school.

"I have to say, your relationship really is remarkable, I have rarely seen siblings as close as you too." Professor Weasley says, regarding us with a keen gaze, her warm brown eyes shining with fondness.

I gaze at my brother and he beams back at me, his warm smile bringing back a flood of memories. For as long as I can remember, family has been the most precious thing to us, and Alphonse and I have always shared a bond that nothing could break. Even when we were just infants, I would wail whenever we were separated, and he'd throw a tantrum at the sound of my cries, insisting that we be reunited once more. It was that unbreakable bond that helped me get through the darkest moments of my life, when everything seemed so dull and distant. Even when I felt like I was drowning in the abyss of my despair, the thought of my twin brother's unwavering support kept me afloat.

"What exactly are those houses you mentioned? There's four right?" Alphonse asks, his tone betraying a hint of uncertainty.

"Yes, four houses. One for each of Hogwarts' original founders. Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff."

"And how does the... hat choose exactly?" He tries not to sound too skeptical about it, but fails of course, and I am grateful for the patience Professor Waesley has been showing until now.

"Well, it depends on your personality and your abilities. For example, Gryffindors are usually known for their bravery, whilst Slytherins care for ambition. The Sorting Hat will search through your mind and express which house suits you best."

"And the other houses? What's their specialty?" I ask, eager to know more.

"Ravenclaws favor wits, and Hufflepuffs loyalty. But there are many other factors to take into account. It's also about your wishes and what you hope to find and learn at Hogwarts."

Al gives my hand another squeeze, clearly expressing his dislike for the idea of sorting students based on their personalities. As close as we are, it's no secret that we are total opposites. As my anxiety starts rising again, I can't help but wonder how we'll end up in the same house considering how different we are.