Chapter 68: Isolation

"Thanks to Chargebolt, we managed to escape that explosion, but in the end, the entire lead was a ruse," Endeavor summarized to the heroes in front of him.

All the heroes who were working together to find Shigaraki and had the knowledge of One For All, were all gathered in a warehouse by a pier. The heroes consisted of the top 4 heroes: Endeavor, Hawks, Best Jeanist, and Edgeshot; along with the hero couple, the No. 7 hero Kamui Woods and the No. 23 hero Mount Lady.

"Have we extracted anything more from Nagant?" Edgeshot asked as he was sitting on a crate.

"Not happening," Hawks answered from his seat, a crate stacked up higher than the one Endeavor was sitting on. "She's in such bad shape, the folks at Central Hospital say they don't even know how she's alive."

"A woman afflicted by powerful despair... still clinging desperately to life," Kamui Woods said to himself.

"Endeavor. Is it time to stake everything on turning this around?" Edgeshot asked. "Maybe we should expand this beyond us and bring in every last remaining hero, informing the others about Midoriya, One For All, Kaminari, and the Demons, and throw an all-encompassing net at this investigation."

"That business with Lady Nagant made it clear, that the brunt of hunting down the League will be left to Midoriya, Kaminari being left with the Demon King and his Uppermoons," Mount Lady stated. "The cops are up to their eyeballs with other problems, and there've been no eyewitness accounts of the League or the Demon King for a while. We should put together a task force before the pool of colleagues we can count on has dried up..."

"Right... Desutegoro quit two days ago," Endeavor recalled.

Mount Lady's face fell and she pressed her lips together, remembering what he said when he told her he was quitting.

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

"The job's been running me ragged. I can't seem to catch a break," the hero Death Arms said, continuing to talk as he took off his costume. "And what do we get for it? Rants. Doubt. Rage. Yeah, I know there's still some support for us out there, but... one loud heckler easily drowns out ten fans. I've never felt like this before. I thought I was different. Better. I'm sure we all did once. But nah, I'm no hero. Only human."

As Desutegoro finished his speech and putting his civilians clothes back on, he walked away with his back turned to Mount Lady, not sparing her a second glance.

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

"In the big battle, he led the charge to round up the spy heroes working for the Paranormal Liberation Front. He seemed like a hero with some backbone to him," Endeavor said, remembering the former hero.

"Any given hero's thread could snap tomorrow, and it wouldn't come as a shock," Best Jeanist noted. "We hear about more heroes hanging up their hero costumes every day."

"Plus, the media's closing in on Deku and Chargebolt since heroes who do quit end up leaking details," Endeavor added.

"They even managed to find out they were being classified as "demons", giving us a lot of backlash for calling them as such, even though that's what they really are," Kamui Woods chimed in.

"With law and order all but gone, power runs unchecked in the streets, so we can't let the world learn the truths behind One For All and Demons. If that were to happen, Deku and Chargebolt will be ones caught in a vicious cycle of negativity," Endeavor stated.