14 | pact

TAEHYUNG KNEW THAT even after getting all old and wrinkly, he would never ever forget how it felt to co-exist with Haneul

TAEHYUNG KNEW THAT even after getting all old and wrinkly, he would never ever forget how it felt to co-exist with Haneul. To live, laugh, and love alongside her. To hug her and kiss her and make all kinds of fake scenarios in his head about her. 

He would eventually move on in life, probably find a girl who he could fill with all his love for her, and settle down with her. Create his family with her. But he would never, never forget Haneul.

One of his favourite scenarios was waking up to Haneul and Yeontan cuddled up to him every single morning. Every time he thought about it, he felt happy and content with it. After some time, reality would dawn on him, and he would wonder if it was better than what he had imagined, were it true. 

Back at sixteen, Taehyung was recovering from his very first heartbreak, and he had started seeing Haneul in a new light. Haneul, who always hung out with him. Haneul, who listened to him ramble about HB pencils even though she had no interest in them because she cared about his interests. Haneul, who helped him put up Girl's Generation's posters in his half of the bedroom without any judgement. Haneul, who saved up her allowance and got him a four-pack HB pencil set as a gift. And the same Haneul, who then got a boyfriend. 

Taehyung always knew she was out of his league. Of course, she was. She was everything he wasn't - pretty, smart, confident. Taehyung adored her from the bottom of his heart. Hell, he still adored her, maybe way more than she took credit for. 

At seventeen, when her boyfriend dumped her because she refused to lose her virginity to him in the back of his father's car, Taehyung made sure he was there for her. He was, quite literally, her shoulder to cry. They were the best of friends then, and had recently started hanging out alone, because Jimin and May were in the honeymoon phase of their newly started relationship, and needed some alone time for themselves. 

Taehyung was pretty sure it was Jimin's doing after he had told Jimin that he might just see Haneul more than just his best friend. Jimin had tried to, and failed so many times, to play the cupid. He just had too much ego to step down, even after so many years.

They were just doing their homework together when Taehyung thought of a plan. It was the only way he could ever shoot his shot without getting rejected or completely shut off from her, so he pondered over it some more. By the end of the second hour, he spoke up, "I have a deal for you." 

"Yes?" Haneul perked up from her homework and looked at him. She was wearing a pretty frilled dress, a little tattered around the edges, but still pretty regardless. It was a hand-me-down from a distant cousin of hers, and she absolutely loved it. The ribbons in her hair whipped around slightly as she put a strand of her hair behind her ear. 

"You're obviously single, and so am I..." Taehyung halted, searching her face for any expression. 

Haneul's nose scrunched, probably in disgust, "Please don't tell me you're going to ask if we can date. I don't like you like that."