13 | pretend

HANEUL HAD NEVER thought that she and her dad would be sharing a pint of her favourite cookie dough ice cream while watching What's wrong with Secretary Kim, just a day before her 27th birthday

Her life had quickly turned into a sad intangible mess, and she had no idea why. 

Well, maybe she was being a little dramatic. It wasn't all bad. 

It had been well over a week since she had come home back from Seoul. Working from home felt boring for her like it didn't have a challenge. She loved her work during the business trip with her boss for three months, but work now was repetitive. Dull. Uninteresting. Her days mushed together; talking on calls, replying to emails, eating, sleeping and repeating.

She had talked with Jimin once that week and had more questions than answers. Calling Jimin had one purpose - apart from asking for their engagement pictures, of course -  knowing the whereabouts of Taehyung.

He had never let them go more than two days of silence on text, and that's when she decided she would sneakily ask Jimin about it. Sure, she felt a little guilty, but she figured Taehyung was hiding stuff from her again, and boy was she right. 

Not that she had any right to say anything about honesty either.

Taehyung had not texted nor called; silence is all she got. Haneul didn't initiate the conversation either, because well, it bruised her ego to be the one texting first. 

Seolhui, her name, was someone new in his life. She was happy for him till she remembered their whole pretend-to-date deal when her mother passed some backhanded compliment about it during dinner. After that, Seolhui, whoever that bitch was - man she made Haneul furious for no apparent reason.

Haneul did try to search her up on Instagram and check if she could at least find her, but Taehyung didn't have an Instagram account, and the lack of one didn't help at all. Two hours of her sleep were wasted in finding who that chick was, and with each passing account, she became more and more restless, as each one of them was gorgeous.

Still, like the good friend she was (very laughable, an intrusive thought crossed her mind, because she wasn't being a good friend at all) she gave him the benefit of the doubt. Waited three whole days for him, his texts or his calls. 

Received none. Five days turned into seven.

This was probably the first time in ages that Haneul felt alone. Not lonely, but alone. As if she had no one with her. Like she had no one to talk to, or to discuss their uneventful life. The void in her chest was getting wider and deeper, and she hated that feeling. 

During dinner that day, her mother reminded her of, yet again, how unsuccessful she was in raising a daughter like Haneul, who was turning twenty-seven, with no husband nor a baby on the way. Her mother then went on about the same old story of how she was pregnant with a baby when she was twenty-five, just fresh out of marriage, and how if it were alive today, she would've probably raised it better than they did Haneul.