16 𝐀𝐧 𝐈𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐏𝐞𝐬𝐭

Start from the beginning

She turned around and started walking back home to where both her parents had been for the past few days, unable to show their faces to anyone but her.

She knew it was no point in asking for help anymore. No one was willing to stand up to the people for fear that they would be persecuted as well. They'd rather watch as her family was burnt at the stake like an innocent woman accused of being a witch than intervene.

Y/n snapped back to reality when she heard a few knocks on her door alerting a patient at her doorstep. She walked out of her office and opened it.

"Y/n, my dear," An old woman smiled happily upon seeing her, she helped her walk inside as her granddaughter entered as well "How was your trip? I have to say, I've always wanted to go to Tokyo"

"There were some problems with the train, so I never ended up going," She answered, the same sentence being parroted to anyone who asked.

She opened the door to an empty room, "How are you feeling Yamada-san? You usually prefer if I come over for checkups,"

The old woman smiled warmly, "I know, but I wanted to get a small walk in--"

"Lies!" Yui--the granddaughter--let out, crossing her arms as they sat down for the checkup, "Y/n-san, I caught grandma working again, and that's why we're here!"

Y/n sighed, giving the old woman a tired and stern look, "Yamada-san, you need to take it easy or your heart will give out,"

Yui nodded in agreement, bickering with her grandmother as usual as she simply ignored them to continue with the check-up.

"By the way, Y/n-san, where's your servant?" The teenager asked, looking around with a curiosity.

Y/n simply continued her work, "He's busy with some work," She answered.

Truth was, the demon was inside his room, considering he couldn't exactly leave the house during day time. And he had absolutely no intentions of being mauled by weak patients for tea or snacks. He'd simply told her to call out for him if a patient got too close for her liking.

Yui hummed, deciding that it was good the pink-haired male wasn't there, "Well, tell me Y/n-san..."

The woman looked up, raising her eyebrow.

"Don't you think he's a little... Peculiar..?"

"Yui..." Miss Yamada sighed but the girl continued.

"Please don't take this the wrong way!" She instantly said, waving her hands, "It's just that... People have been talking lately and... Well-- No one really knows him. He's never seen during daytime and he seems to always disappear every now and then but he's always with you..."

Y/n stared at the duo blankly, wondering what she was going on about, "What are you implying, Yui-san?" She asked, tilting her head.

If they were to suspect that the pink-haired male was in fact a demon, it would become incredibly bothersome. Not to mention, if demon slayers were alerted, they'd most likely want her head cut off for allowing a demon to stay with her. She wasn't quite worried about that, to be honest. All she was worried about was her job, Mei, and her patients.

Yui chuckled, scratching her cheek with a mischievous expression, "Is he... Courting you..?"

Y/n stared at the duo who seemed excited about her answer. There were sparkles around both of them are they anticipated her reaction.

Meanwhile, she stared at them with a blank expression and they could almost visualize her trying to solve multiple invisible equations as she slowly understood what they meant.