62 ¦ Forever Only

"We have to leave right away!" Teresa announces frantically as she enters the bathroom where Leela has just given me a makeover and whipped my hair into a beautiful updo.

When Teresa's eyes meet mine, she pauses instantly. Her tense features soften and her red-painted lips form into a smile. "What do you say?", I ask nervously, looking down at myself. "You look stunning," she assures me, pressing her lips together. Obviously, this must be a touching moment for her, because her eyes fill with tears, which she struggles to hold back, otherwise they would ruin the makeup she's wearing today.

"You've grown up so fast," she states in a brittle voice, pulling me into a careful hug. I wrap my arms around her to return her embrace. Teresa... My birth mother, who has lived by my side all my life as our maid to see her only child grow up. For this she even put up with not being able to separate from the man who must have destroyed her life.

Of course, this news has been like a slap in the face for me, but instead of being angry with them, I rather consider myself lucky. Because with Teresa and the woman who I believed all my life was my mother, I now even have two mothers who love me unconditionally.

"I love you, Teresa," I say with a smile on my lips, burying my face in the brown hair that falls wavily over her shoulders. "I love you too, mi cariño," she replies, breathing a kiss on my forehead.

"I hate to break the moment, but we really should get going or we'll be late," Jungkook's voice sounds from behind us. Sunghoon's driver stands in the doorway dressed in a black tuxedo with his fingers crossed in front of his body, looking expectantly back and forth between Leela, Teresa, and me.

Excitedly, I smooth the flowing fabric of my wedding dress. The heart in my chest races and my breathing is also rapid and uneven. "Take a deep breath," Teresa reminds me, putting a hand to my cheek. "You will never forget this day, because it will be one of the most beautiful days of your life." She's right. Even as a little girl, I dreamed of this day for hours. Now it has come.

Together with Leela, Teresa, my mother and Jungkook, we head to the car. My mother and Leela help me with the dress into the car and make sure that nothing gets dirty, while Teresa and Jungkook put the wedding rings and baskets with the petals into the trunk.

The mood in the car is exuberant and although I am infinitely looking forward to this moment, for whatever reason, I am suddenly overcome with this fear and doubt. What if something doesn't go according to plan?  What if Sunghoon changes his mind after all and doesn't want to marry me?

"We're here," Leela announces joyfully, gently shaking my arm to pull me out of the thoughts I'm just getting lost in. My gaze falls out of the window to the church, whose door is open and in front of which many people have already gathered. Among them I recognize Jay, who is standing in front of the door and greeting a few friends and co-workers of Sunghoon, whom I have only met briefly so far. Nevertheless, I am glad that they have appeared.

A few meters away, I discover my maternal grandparents, who have traveled all the way from Valencia to join us in Madrid. They only met Sunghoon a few weeks ago by phone, but they have taken him straight to their hearts.

It takes what feels like an eternity until the last guests arrive at the church and go inside. During this time, my anticipation and excitement increase immeasurably. And then it is finally time; Leela opens the car door and together with my mother she helps me out of the car, while Teresa and Jungkook hurry towards the church with the wedding rings and the petals.

They accompany me to the church door, where I am already awaited by Eun-Ji and her daughter Iseul. Iseul is our flower girl and Eun-Ji will help her. "Wow, you look stunning, Dolores," Eun-Ji states as her eyes pattern me intently. She herself is wearing a beautiful, knee-hugging dress of navy blue fabric and lace trim. She wears her hair up. Dangling from her ears are earrings with tiny diamond stones.