65 ¦ Christmas EveL

Yesterday evening Sunghoon and I returned home from our honeymoon. The days we spent together in Santiago were wonderful. However, I am glad to be back home for the holidays to spend with family. 

Tonight Sunghoon and I are at my mother's and Teresa's house, who invited us for dinner. Of course, Teresa didn't miss the chance to prepare a real feast, so the delicious smell is already in my nose when my mother opens the door to invite us into the house. 

After my mother has embraced us in greeting, we go into the living room for the time being, where Teresa is already waiting for us, beaming with joy. "How was your honeymoon?" she inquires curiously, glancing back and forth between Sunghoon and me. "It was really nice," I gush, thinking of both the breathtaking scenery and the beautiful moments I had with Sunghoon. "I wish I could have stayed there longer..." 

The ringing of the doorbell interrupts our conversation. A little too hastily, Teresa shoots up from the sofa and hurries out of the living room. Confused, I look at my mother, who glares after the middle-aged woman. "Are you expecting someone else?", I inquire curiously. "Well..." my mother starts. 

"Merry Christmas," Jungkook's voice suddenly rings out from the hallway and shortly, after that Teresa enters the living room accompanied by the surprise guest. Sunghoon and I exchange confused, yet unambiguous glances before looking back to the man at Teresa's side.

"Jungkook," my husband says in surprise, rising from the sofa to greet the man, who he says is like a father to him, with a hug. "What are you doing here?" "Well..." he continues, looking questioningly at Teresa, who nods nervously. "There's something we want to announce to you," Jungkook continues the next moment, whereupon he reaches for Teresa's hand and breathes a kiss on the back of it. "Teresa and I are together." 

Teresa's cheeks blush a little as she looks back and forth between Sunghoon and me, waiting for a reaction. Although I didn't expect this news today, I'm still not surprised by it. I already noticed at Sunghoon and my wedding that there must be something going on between the two of them. Both Teresa and Jungkook deserve to be happy. I am happy for both of them. 

Smiling, I now also rise from the sofa and wrap my arms around the neck of the woman who brought me into the world. With a relieved sigh, Teresa returns my embrace. "I'm happy for you," I say, breaking away from the embrace again to look back and forth between Teresa and Jungkook.

"I'm happy for you too," Sunghoon now agrees with my words and smiles at them both. "Thank you," Jungkook replies, wrapping his arm around Teresa's waist to pull her closer and breathe a kiss on her temple. 

Smiling, Teresa looks to Jungkook, her brown eyes beginning to sparkle. I have seen her like this before and it fills me with joy. After all the years of pression she sacrificed to stay with me and watch me grow up, Teresa deserves to enjoy her freedom and finally be happy. 

I am glad that she found happiness in Jungkook. He, too, has had to endure some very hard times in his life, so I'm even happier that they found each other. "Let's go to the dining room," Teresa finally suggests, waving us behind her into the dining room. 

"You've outdone yourself again," I say in amazement as I catch a glimpse of the fully set dining table. With all of us already seated at the table, Teresa takes the roast duck out of the oven and places it in the center of the table while Sunghoon pours everyone but me some of the Spanish red wine we brought. 

After we toast, we begin to eat. Teresa cuts the roast and puts some on everyone's plate. During dinner, the mood is decidedly boisterous. We talk about Sunghoons and my honeymoon, about my pregnancy and the baby, about Teresa and Jungkook, and about much more. 

After dinner, I help Teresa clear the dishes while the others are already making their way to the living room. "How come you never said anything anyway? About Jungkook I mean...", I break the silence that reigns between us as we put the dishes from the dish cart into the dishwasher. 

Curiously, I look at the woman, whose cheeks are turning slightly red. Smiling, she brushes a strand of her brown hair behind her ear. "I had to figure out my own feelings first," Teresa tells me, starting the dishwasher. 

Crossing my arms, I lean against the countertop and smile. "Tell me more... How long has this been going on?", I want to know. Teresa smiles in love. "After all, I only met Jungkook when he picked up your mother and I from the hotel back then and we moved in with Sunghoon," she tells me, thinking a bit. 

"Honestly...we hit it off right away. I don't think I've talked to anyone as well as I did with him at that point in a long time." Her brown eyes sparkle as she talks about Jungkook. I can see how happy he makes her, and I don't begrudge her from the bottom of my heart. "We were unsure when and how to tell you," Teresa says. 

Grinning, I look at the middle-aged woman. "Honestly, it was obvious," I reply, remembering the first time I saw Teresa and Jungkook together. "I guess we weren't very good at hiding our feelings for each other" Teresa concludes, laughing softly. "Not really," I agree with her and laugh as well. 

We then just look at each other in silence for a moment before I am overcome with this insatiable need to hug Teresa. Smiling, I wrap my arms around her neck and hug her tightly. "I'm really happy that you're finally happy.... I love you." Teresa returns my embrace and breathes a kiss on my temple. "I love you too, Dolores," the woman murmurs.

After staying in our embrace for a while, we join Sunghoon, Jungkook, and my mother in the living room, who are sitting on the sofa laughing and engrossed in conversation. 

Sunghoon is sipping his wine glass when I sit down next to him on the sofa and reach for his hand. Smiling, he tilts his head in my direction and I allow him to wrap his arm around my shoulders to pull me closer and breathe a kiss on my forehead.

"My beautiful wife," Sunghoon murmurs in my ear. "How much wine did you drink?", I want to know, shaking my head. "What? Can't I tell my wife she's beautiful?" he asks me, grinning from ear to ear. 

I think back to the day I first saw him. He was sitting right here, where he is now, looking like he looks now. But the man who roughly shook my hand that day is another who now holds my hand very tenderly in his and wanders his thumb over my knuckles. 

His then emotionless golden eyes are now full of warmth and love. Today, when I look into Sunghoon's eyes, I don't see a strange man, I see the love of my life, the man of my unborn child, my husband. My home. My life.