12 ¦ Tell him the truth

"We found the perfect dress. I'm sure you'll like it too," Sunghoon informs my father as he drives me home after our dinner together at a pizzeria, coming in for another word with my father.

"So everything went according to plan?" my father inquires, not paying any attention to me. By according to plan, he really just wants to know if I behaved appropriately. In doing so, he talks about me as if I were not standing right in front of him.

However, since I don't want to provoke him beating me up again, I silently accept it that way and lower my gaze. "Absolutely," Sunghoon replies, and I feel his hand on my back.

"Honestly, I'd like to do something with Dolores tomorrow. The weather is so nice, it would be a shame for her to spend the whole day indoors," Sunghoon changes the subject, glancing back and forth between my father and me.

"What do you have in mind?"' my father inquires with interest and I also look at Sunghoon with curiosity. While I'm not surprised that he wants to do something with me, I didn't think it would be so soon.

"Actually, it would be more like a little weekend trip," Sunghoon confesses to my father, whose skeptical gaze darts to me. It's obvious he doesn't trust me to spend more than a few hours with Sunghoon.

"Over the weekend, I don't have any business commitments, so I was thinking of taking Dolores to my uncle's cottage by the sea to spend the days." "I don't know if I think that's a good idea," my father admits skeptically.

"We're getting married in less than a month," Sunghoon puts in, crossing his arms behind his back. He looks down at my father from above, and I like it.

"I want to give Dolores the chance to trust me and accept me by her side so that it doesn't come to a situation like the one a few days ago again. That was an act of desperation and a sign to me that she needs more time for all of this. I am willing to give it to her. But for that, it's important that we have that time together, too."

Sunghoon is right once again. I'm desperate, and I'm also not ready to marry a man who I don't even know what his favorite color is or when his birthday is.

The day I took the knife, I lost my nerve. I don't know if one day I will be able to forgive Sunghoon for upsetting my life like that. Still, unlike my father, he's really trying hard to make it as bearable as possible for me.

"You're absolutely right," my father finally agrees with Sunghoon after a moment's consideration, though I can tell from his eyes that he absolutely disagrees with Sunghoon's opinion.

I wonder when he became so indifferent to the welfare and happiness of his own daughter. The memories I have of this man from my childhood contradict the manipulative man standing before me today. But then I am overcome with this terrifying thought that my father has manipulated me all my life to make me believe I am important to him, only to end up using me for his purposes.

He makes no secret of having always wanted a son who would one day take over his company. But due to complications that arose during my birth, my mother was unable to conceive and my father's dream was shattered. Maybe that's why my father hates me so much.

"What do you think of the idea, Dolores?", Sunghoon now wants to know from me. At least he cares what I think.

It will be strange to spend the whole weekend alone with Sunghoon, but right now I'd really rather be anywhere than at home with this man who calls himself my father.

"I think it's a good idea," I reply nodding, looking Sunghoon in the eye. "Very nice," Sunghoon says, clapping his hands together. "Then I will pick you up from here tomorrow morning at 9:00."

After saying goodbye to Sunghoon, I head straight upstairs to my room. There, I first take off my dress to exchange it for a pair of sleep shorts and a tank top.

I then sit down at my makeup table, where I take a makeup remover and remove the concealer from my face. The slight pressure I apply to my face as I do this hurts a bit.

For a moment, I look at the small, vulnerable girl I see in the mirror. Nothing about her reminds me of myself anymore. My normally joyful green eyes look tired and empty, my skin is pale, my cheeks slightly sunken, and the blue discoloration on my face makes me feel angry and scared at the same time.

The fact that my own father beat me and then kicked me when I was already defenseless on the ground still leaves me stunned.

Sobbing, I avert my eyes from my reflection in the mirror, for I can no longer bear to look at myself. What have they made of me with their unforgiving actions?

At first I tried to fight against all this. But the fear of my father and what else he is capable of doing if I don't bow to him and the plans he has in store for me is always present. But somewhere behind this fear also lurks my anger and unspeakable hatred towards the man who forces me to give up my life for his own benefit.

I run my fingertips over the still slightly sore part of my face. My fingers travel down to my chest and I apply light pressure to the points where I think I can still feel his shoe. Tears stream down my face as I feel the pain.

Suddenly, a soft knock sounds at my door. Panicked, I jump up from my dressing table and look down at myself. "Who is it?", I ask, fearing that it is Sunghoon. "It's me!", I hear Teresa's soft voice on the other side of the door and exhale in relief. "Come in."

Teresa enters my room with a small travel suitcase she is dragging behind her. "Your father asked me to help you pack," she informs me, placing the suitcase on my bed where she unfolds it.

Some minutes later
"And you really don't want to pack a bikini? The weekend is going to be even warmer than the last few days," the middle-aged woman tells me as I finish packing some sandals and close the suitcase.

"No," I reply, shaking my head. As I do, I pull my top up slightly to show Teresa the bruises on my ribcage. "Just look at the way I look. There's no way Sunghoon can see this."

Shocked, Teresa holds her hand over her mouth and shakes her head in bewilderment. "Oh God, you poor child," Teresa whispers, tears welling up in her eyes.

Her reaction resembles that of the young blonde saleswoman in the bridal fashion store. But Teresa really seems to take it in stride how I look.

Suddenly, I notice her pulling me into a gentle embrace. For a brief moment, I don't know how to respond, but then I feel the sense of being understood spreading through me. It's the first time in a few weeks that I feel like someone seriously cares how I'm doing.

"What they are doing to you is cruel...You shouldn't be subjected to all this any longer," Teresa murmurs in a hushed voice. Of course, I have thought about leaving a few times, but I am too afraid of what will happen to my mother if I put my plan into action.

"I can help you get out of here," Teresa whispers. "All you have to do is say you want to." Immediately I break free from Teresa's embrace.

Now it's me shaking my head in bewilderment. "No," I say in a serious voice. If my father finds out that Teresa helped me escape, a resignation will be the least of her worries.

"You saw what he did to me. And I'm sure you know as well as I do that he beats my mother, too." Teresa lowers her eyes, and I suspect I'm right in my guess. "If I don't do what he wants, he'll hurt me as well as my mother. And if you then also want to help me escape and he finds out.... No, I can't let others come to harm because of me."

"So you're just going to marry this man?" asks Teresa, looking at me sadly from her brown eyes. I nod. "I have no choice," I say firmly. My mind is made up.

"I'd really like to be alone right now." "Oh yeah sure, I'll let you rest," Teresa replies calmly, nodding in agreement before walking toward my door. But before she leaves the room, she stops and turns to me one last time.

"You shouldn't keep this from Sunghoon. Tell him... please."