01

September 1996

Pen-Friend, 

hello!

my mom said that i should do this as a way to get better at writing things, so here i am!

I'm Taylor, i'm 7 years old (in two months - my birthday is December 13th!) and i like music. 

tell me about yourself! 

i don't really know what to write because i don't know who you are... sorry.

i'll tell you about this boy in my class! he's really weird, he sits on the second table in from the door, and we were in math class and he just started shouting out of nowhere, he told the teacher that math is for losers and then started dancing in the middle of the room - it was really funny.

i quite like math but english and music are definitely my favourites!
maybe that makes me a loser too

please don't think i'm a loser and not respond,

Taylor S

oh and this is my address so you can send a letter back
-----
------------
---------------
------------------
USA

----

November 1996

Taylor,

hello pen-friend!

i'm so happy someone decided to write to me!
my dad said that nobody would want to because i'm a lost cause.

maybe that means loser
maybe we can be losers together!

i'm Samara, i am 7 years old already (my birthday is 17th September) so i'm older than you! my teacher Mr Kears helped me to do this, because i saw it on the school computer and i thought it would be cool!

that boy sounds silly but i can understand, i don't like maths much either... i only like school so i can see my friends Nickolas and Leo, they are really cool, maybe you would like them too.
how many friends do you have Taylor? i bet you have more than me, America is huge!

i like music too! but i like to read books more than anything, i just read this really cool book called Matilda, she loves reading too and her family isn't very nice so i think she's a lot like me. 

i hope my dad doesn't read this or i'll get into trouble for saying that. 

what do you look like Taylor? what's it like to live in America? i bet you're cool

Yours
Samara R

my address - incase you lost it
--
---------
--------
------------
------
UK

----

November 1996

Samara,

your name is very pretty. i like it.

America is very big, i haven't seen a lot of it but i want to travel a lot more when i'm bigger, i hope i get to see the world! what's the UK like?

i've read that book too! i hope your family is not like them, they're horrible. but i'll be your friend, we can be lost cause losers! i think i'd rather be like that than be like everybody else...

i have friends! but they're a bit harsh at times, it's not very nice, i want better friends, maybe we should be friends! you seem very cool. i'm blonde! my hair is really light yellow it's almost white and it's really curly! i have blue eyes and... well that's about everything.

i'd love to meet Leo and Nikolai if they're friends with someone as nice as you they must be good people! i think that Mr Kears is cool too, otherwise we wouldn't have written to each other!

what do you look like Samara? 

T. Swift

----

December 1996

Taylor Swift, 

Happy birthday pen-friend! 

i hope you're having a good day! Mr K helped me to wrap your present in the envelope i hope you like it, its a paper airplane necklace, paper planes are my third favourite thing after books and these letters so i hope you like it - and in case you didn't i wrapped up a bar of Cadbury chocolate too, Mr K says its rare and expensive in America so i hope you like it, if you do let me know and i'll send you more!

the UK is cold and wet for most the year. it's not very nice but it's okay because i don't like it when it's warm as my dad gets more horrible as he goes drinking with his friends more. 

i've got brown hair and brown eyes, which is very common in England, my hair is straight, which is pretty boring but if it's warm outside it'll go wavy and have lots of mini frizzy curls. which can sometimes look nice but it can also look horrible if the frizzy curls are too big. 
theres this girl in my class who likes to make fun of me because i look different to everyone in the class but Mr K says that's cool and that i'm u-neek. 

we are already best friends Taylor, i'll be your best friend for life. Leo and Niko will love you too, any friend of mine is a friend of theirs too. 

we'll all be best friends forever and evermore

Yours

S. Rico