𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

CHAPTER EIGHT
[8]

edited 10.2.23

❥ Kira had left the scene with Chad and Mindy after a few hours of giving statements and such. Dewey had promised that he would come to pick Kira up later that night after finishing the paperwork and checking on Tara and Sam.

Kira had ended up falling asleep against Mindy's chest on the couch, sharing one blanket and tissues surrounding them. Kira was sure the tip of her nose would be red forever and her eyes would be circled from crying.

When she woke, she realized the horrible nightmare was a reality. Mindy rose quickly at feeling the girl move and offered a sad smile. "Morning.."

Kira slowly sat up, wincing at the pain in her ribs. "Hey.." She said quietly.

Chad walked down the stairs and looked at Kira with soft eyes, walking over and lightly touching her arm, worry in his eyes. "Hey. Everything okay?"

"Yeah... yeah I'm okay," Kira said quietly as she rubbed her eyes before looking up again towards the male. She wasn't okay. She wouldn't be for a long time—but she didn't want to cry about it forever.

Chad nodded and gently took hold of Kira's hand. "Let's go have some breakfast okay?" He asked as he led her to the kitchen and pulled a chair out for her.

Kira looked at their hands with soft eyes before sitting down in the chair he pulled out. Usually, she would've been over the moon at the fact Chad had held her hand.. but she felt numb.

The food on the table looked amazing. Martha sure did cook, that's for sure. Pancakes, waffles, sausage, bacon, toast. She had probably made enough to feed Chad, his whole football team, and then maybe the basketball team too.

"This looks amazing. Thank you, Mrs Martin." Kira said quietly as she made herself a small plate, not having the heart to tell them she wasn't hungry. How could she be when she had just witnessed her brother's death and then saw her mother's body less than 24 hours ago?

Martha smiled at the girl sadly and shook her head as she ate her breakfast. "Dear, just call me Martha." She said softly.

"She's practically Martha Stewart at this point." Mindy joked as she shoved a piece of bacon in her mouth, crunching it loudly.

Kira winced at the sound, realizing how similar it sounded to when Wes' arteries were split and his windpipe folded. She blinked away tears and forced herself to stomach a bite of her waffle.

Martha gave Mindy a look to chew with her mouth closed before she ate a piece of sausage. Everyone seemed on edge around Kira—as if worried the smallest of things would break her. And maybe this was true.

"So.. Is Dewey coming to get me soon?" Kira found herself asking. He had promised to pick her up last night and it was morning now. She was hoping he hadn't already abandoned her.

Martha took a more somber look to her features and she looked down at her plate with a frown.

The girl's brows furrowed together in question. "What? What is it?" She asked quickly, worry rising in her stomach although it had already dropped.

"Dewey Riley... he... he died last night protecting Sam and Tara in the hospital. There was nothing they could do." Martha explained quietly, swallowing thickly.

Mindy and Chad quickly turned to look at Kira, trying to gauge her reaction but Kira didn't do anything. She refused to cry in front of them again.

Of course, it hurt to know that now Dewey wasn't even an option for any type of support, comfort, or even housing. And she knew Martha would eventually expect her to leave. "That's.. horrible," Kira whispered as she took a bite of her food, once again forcing it down and not back up. "Are the girls okay?"