Chapter 11.5: My Ordinary Life

______________________________________

[Ayanokōji Kiyotaka POV]

「May 16th︱After School︱Keyaki Mall」

Although I had initially claimed that I didn't deserve to be here, my curiosity got the better of me, and now I found myself walking through the premises of Keyaki Mall.

From an outsider's perspective, it might seem like I was aimlessly wandering without a particular destination in mind. However, the reality was quite the opposite—I was simply feeling a bit nervous, albeit just a little.

If I were to put it into words, the heat might have contributed to it, but I estimated that my heart was beating at approximately 73.3 times per minute, totaling 1,612 beats in the past 22 minutes.

It was an unnecessary count, I knew, but I couldn't help myself.

As I continued making my way through the Keyaki Mall, I eventually arrived at the location of the karaoke. If my memory served me right, this was where the party to celebrate our safe passage of the midterm exams in Class D was taking place.

"...This should be the place, right?" I pulled out my phone again to check the message from Sudō Ken.

Despite having a perfect memory, I couldn't resist double-checking just to be sure—I would be quite embarrassed if I ended up entering the wrong room.

At the very least, the numbers on the door matched the ones in the message. I could even faintly hear voices coming from inside—though muffled, it seemed like they were having a good time in there.

"...Maybe I shouldn't have come here after all," I quietly pondered, my footsteps echoing in the nearly empty corridor of Keyaki Mall.

"Ayanokōji-kun?" Just as I contemplated my decision, a familiar feminine voice sliced through the silence like a gentle breeze. The soft cadence of her words caught my attention, and I turned my gaze towards her. It was Kushida Kikyō.

"Oh... Good afternoon, Kushida," I responded in my usual monotone.

"Heh, you actually came to the party after all, huh?" Kushida Kikyō chuckled, her voice carrying a hint of cuteness. In her hand, she held a bag filled with various drinks. "Though, I can't say if you're thrilled to be here... Did Sudō-kun force you to come?"

"Well, no," I shrugged, my tone unchanged. "Sudō simply asked if I was interested in joining and provided the location in the message. You could say that I have a mild interest, so I decided to attend."

"I see. Then why don't you just go inside?" Kushida Kikyō tilted her head slightly, a lock of her hair falling gracefully across her shoulder.

"Well, you could say that I don't know when it would be appropriate to enter," I explained. "Considering I'm already late, I don't think it would be a good idea to just barge in and disrupt the party."

"Really?" Kushida Kikyō questioned, seeming a bit surprised.

"Yes, really," I confirmed.

After our brief conversation, the atmosphere settled into a comfortable silence, enveloping us like a delicate veil. Time seemed to stand still as we stood there, our gazes locked, unspoken words lingering in the air between us. The anticipation of what could be said hung palpably, yet neither of us broke the quietude.

"Pft..." And then, like a burst of suppressed emotion, a stifled sound escaped Kushida Kikyō's lips.

"Ahahahaha...!" Unable to contain her amusement any longer, she averted her face, hiding behind her arm as she chuckled, the sound ringing softly like the delicate chimes of laughter.