Chapter 09: Contradiction

Chapter 09: Contradiction (Re-written)
______________________________________

[Ayanokōji Kiyotaka POV]

「May 3rd︱Afterschool︱Gymnasium no.1」

As I ascended the grandstand, I gained a panoramic view of the entire field from above. The basketball club members were engaged in serious practice, but the atmosphere seemed tense.

Could it be because of the expulsion of several club members due to my previous actions? Or perhaps they were preparing for an upcoming competition? If either of these assumptions were true, it's likely that animosity towards me was growing significantly.

However, those concerns were far from my primary focus. I directed my gaze downward, fixated on a particular individual: Sudō Ken. He was one of the basketball club members, as he had claimed, and undoubtedly one of the most talented athletes in the school.

Based on his previous statements, Sudō Ken had developed a deep passion for basketball since middle school. Becoming a basketball pro had been his dream, making it an integral part of his life. It was an experience I could never relate to, as I had never pursued such ambitions.

Even a cursory glance revealed Sudō Ken's exceptional skills, far surpassing his peers. His prowess on the court was so remarkable that I could learn the game of basketball merely by observing him. Perhaps it was my own innate talent, but it doesn't really matter at this point.

Despite his aggressive personality, Sudō Ken displayed surprising teamwork on the basketball court, albeit with room for improvement. It was evident that he would soon become a regular player, just as I had anticipated.

The only potential obstacle might be his emotional management, which required experience and time to develop. However, the extent to which it affected him was a separate matter. Regardless, his mere presence alone is more than useful to me.

"...How bothersome," I muttered quietly as I exited the gymnasium, realizing that staying any longer would be a waste of time.

While I had managed to convince Horikita Suzune to do whatever it takes to assist those on the verge of failing, I couldn't help but wonder if she had already failed to make any noticeable progress. Has she been unable to follow through?

The sooner she takes action, the better it will be for those students within the limited time they have for studying. However, given that the failure of her study group occurred just yesterday, it's unlikely that the students have had sufficient time to reflect on their performance or cool down from the previous interactions.

It might be wise to delay extending the invitation for a little while after all.

"Good evening, Ayanokōji! We thought you wouldn't come today," Kushida Kikyō greeted me with a radiant smile as I entered the school library.

"Sorry, I stopped by the gymnasium before coming here," I replied expressionlessly, scanning the library to find many students engrossed in their studies. Naturally, I found at least some from each respective class and all eyes were on me.

"Oh, is this about Sudō-kun? Did you get a chance to talk to him?" Kushida Kikyō inquired.

"No, not yet. I simply went to observe and see how he's doing. It might be best to give him some time before taking any action," I replied, letting out a sigh.

"Well, that's considerate of you, Ayanokōji. But do you think they'll have enough time to study?" Kushida questioned.

"Don't worry about that. If you want them to become valuable assets to your class, it's important to work on improving their mindset first, instilling a growth mindset before moving to the next step," I explained, pausing briefly.